In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 National Match Garand assembly

aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
I bought an M1 National Match Garand from the DCM in 1972; it's brand new and has never been fired. When I bought it, I knew that it would be a long time before I would shoot it (didn't think that it would be 37 years); a friend from the Army rifle team advised me to unlatch the triggerguard to keep the glass bedding from getting compressed over time and it's sat that way since 1972. Now, it seems impossible to latch the triggerguard, is there a trick on the NM rifles? I also have a DCM GI issue Garand and it's easy to latch/unlatch the triggerguard. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    That is one of the reasons that I (for one) do not like to leave the trigger guards unlatched, at least not for decades on end. NM rifles are supposed to have an extremely tight lock up. With the rifle laying upside down can you use your full weight and latch the trigger guard? if you can get it to latch then leave it be because these NM rifles should only be disassembled perhaps once each year and not after the end of each match.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grasp the trigger guard at the very rear where it meets the assembly with the thumb and forefinger, then pull back hard and up at the same time. This should be done in one motion. If you can't pull it loose, take a section of the cleaning rod, and insert it through the trigger guard, positioning it behind the trigger. Then with splayed fingers grasp the cleaning rod on both sides of the trigger guard and, once again, pull back and up.

Sorry, I misread your post. Lay it down like Mark said, and pushing down on the trigger assembly and rifle with the left hand, if you are right handed, and with the left thumb on top of the trigger guard pushing down, and with the thumb and forefinger of the right hand pull back on the trigger guard where it meets the trigger assembly and snap it into place.
    What's next?
  • Options
    aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks-I got it assembled using a piece of old cleaning rod; I wasn't pulling the rear of the triggerguard back far enough to let it snap into the slot. I appreciate the help. Thanks!