In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rifles With The FN/FAL "Look"

givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
Earlier post was concerning a rifle being either inch pattern, or metric. And it discussed receivers, also. I may be in the market for a rifle that has the "profile" of the .308 issued to Commonwealth armies, and many others..Now, regarding this class of rifle, a few questions, if I may:

1. Inch pattern versus metric. Is one necessarily better than the other? (I won't be bidding/buying unless at least three correct magazines are included-so mag. availability is moot)

2. Receiver manufacturer for civilian use (semi-auto)..what is the order of quality?

3. Package deal: Is there one out there already assembled that would be a quality purchase by name on the rifle?

Thanks for taking the time for me. Best, Joe

EDIT:
Iwannausername..Thanks a million! I am "brand name" illiterate, and you've obviously done your homework! Best, Joe

EDIT 2:
To Mark C: Thanks for the heads-up re: parts availability. Damn, good to have your input again.

To TSR: Thanks for the heads-up on the NY aspect. Very good to know.

To all: Thanks for the photos! I think I'll "lurk" over at the forum Iwanna recommended. Best again, Joe

Comments

• iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Inch (commonwealth) rifles have no bolt hold open for the last shot, a different pistol grip, and just feel clunkier to me. I really don't like the inch pistol grip. Also have a folding charging handle. Inch guns can take both metric and inch mags, and 30 round inch mags are available (same mag as the Bren IIRC)

Israeli FALs are a combo of inch and metric

You can put a folding charging handle on a metric gun, and you can put a metric bolt hold open in an inch gun, giving you the last shot hold open.

Receiver - original Belgian, then a licensed maker like Imbel. The FN reps on fnforums.net recommend DSA as the best new FAL you can buy in America today. DCI makes good receivers, and good guns have been built on everything including Hesse and Century receivers.

If you can find a built and ready to go DSA, do it. Otherwise, get what you can - a bare receiver is $500, a decent kit another $300, then US parts another $100-150, plus tool rentals to get headspace proper, etc. So even a built gun with a few minor issues is worth it.

If I were you, I'd head to falfiles.com/forums and create an account - more FAL info than you can shake a stick at.

Edit - with Mark posting photos, I may as well post mine - Its a recent Century production, all metric. No muzzle device. Very reliable and very accurate. Only issues (hey, its a Century) are the mags are a tad tight going in, and I lost the pin that holds the gas tube in. A 5/64th drill bit fixed the tube, the mag issue is really a non-issue for me at the moment...

myfal.jpg
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Now I happen to like the feel of the L1A1 (inch pattern) rifles more than the metric guns. The downside to inch pattern rifles is that 90+% of all FAL parts on the market are metric and getting inch pattern parts as well as magazines is usually more difficult. Imbel receivers are good, but I like the Argentine receivers from FM (not FN, FM) better, although they are now very hard to locate. DSA seems to have the best reputation for USA made receivers, but I had my L1A1 built up on an Enterprise receiver and it works great. I think you should probably consider buying a complete rifle. The days of brand new parts kits with nice barrels being sold at low prices are over and just finding a decent parts kit is now a chore.

[img][/img]FALs.jpg

The L1A1 is in the middle of the photo.

[img][/img]L1A1.jpg

L1A1 with accessories.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joe,

Remember that it is entirely possible to find a Pre-ban(1994) FAL, that allows us to have it all in NY. If that is a decision maker for you. Not that a flash hider, large capacity magazine, or bayonet lug would make it any more or any less lethal at 4-600 yards.

Best
    edited November -1
    Givette - check your profile email, just sent you some info on a deal/steal...
  • davidcparkerdavidcparker Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good morning.

I am the person who submitted the original question regading inch or metric rifles. And thatnks to all who responded.

I bought a spoterized version, and in the last few days 2 other sporterized rifles have sold here on Gunbroker for $700 (+/-).

I intend to re-stock mine back to the original when I can find the parts.

Based on prices I see currently, I expect it to cost less than $100 to re-stock it.

DCP.
    edited November -1
    Don't forget your US parts count to maintain 922r compliance...

quote:Originally posted by davidcparker
    Good morning.

I am the person who submitted the original question regading inch or metric rifles. And thatnks to all who responded.

I bought a spoterized version, and in the last few days 2 other sporterized rifles have sold here on Gunbroker for $700 (+/-).

I intend to re-stock mine back to the original when I can find the parts.

Based on prices I see currently, I expect it to cost less than $100 to re-stock it.

DCP.