In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.280 Remington brass?

mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
Can I run 30-06 or 270Win cases into my .280 Rem full length resizing die and produce safe, usable brass?

Comments

• Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mbsams,

NO, the body length from base to start of shoulder taper is longer on the 280 by about .05.

This is a very critical dimension (the head space) & simple reforming without fire-forming (blowing out) would result in an unsafe condition of very short cases (excessive head-space).

I feel it can be dangerous to re-form any case to something other than the head-stamp & should be avoided if at all possible.

280 Rem brass is readily avalible & the few pennies saved would be meaningless if a family member were to load the wrong cartrige because of the head stamp.

Jim
  • Options
    rogerreloaderrogerreloader Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a remington 7600 in 280 cal. I made all of my reloades from 30-06 brass and they worked fine. You have to be careful to make your first load on the light side to fire form them. Never had case failure or malfunction of any kind. Keep them away from others because of head stamp being something that it is no more.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Not a problem if you make a loaded round long enough to jam the rifling so the case will form to the new chamber... or do a false shoulder...
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mbsams

Making false shoulders to provide a new place for headspace is a common practice for those of us who design and build wildcat cartridges. There is nothing dangerous about this process so long as you pay very close attention to every detail in the process. Check and double check everything. Since using a parent cartridge to create a new cartridge still leaves the parent headstamp, you need to exercise great care in keeping these new cases segregated from the other brass with the same headstamp. This isn't rocket science and 10's of thousands of us use this practice on a daily basis. A good pair of calipers will answer any questions about which case is which.

This is an example of creating a false shoulder in order to create the new point of headspace:

caseformingfalseshoulde.jpg

It's important to use dimension drawing when trying to determine if some case forming is possible. These are available in some reloading manuals and from several online resources. One of the better resources is Steve's Pages, just remember he provides these resources for free so don't be a hog.

Another good source of dimension drawings is the Norma Powder website.

Best.