In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1893 marlin smokeless powder ok?

scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a 6 digit serial number on my marlin 17x7xx I dated the gun to 1896... the gun is not marked smokeless powder, is it safe to shoot modern smokeless powder in this rifle. it is a 38.55
My understanding is this gun was made in the transition years as manufacturers made the guns stronger to handle hotter smokeless loads. can you confirm this?

Comments

• lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an 1893 Marlin with a 6 digit serial number I estimate a date to 1909. The top of the receiver is marked "Marlin Safety" and the side of the octagonal barrel is marked "Marlin Smokeless Steel". It was my understanding that the 1893 was a transition piece but that only those marked with the "Marlin Smokeless Steel" were properly treated for smokeless powder. Mine was originally chambered in 32-40 and is now 32 Winchester.

I recommend you try the guys over on the Marlin forum, they will probably be able to quickly give you a difinitive answer.

Dan R
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scott,

If it is not marked for smokeless powder, you should not shoot it with modern loads. One other thing to keep in mind, is that all of the old Winchesters, Marlins, Ballards, etc. that were chambered for the 38-55 cartridge in the 1880s through 1937 were made with a nominal bore diameter of .379, and modern 38-55 is .375.
  • vepr762vepr762 Member Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The early 1893's were chambered for the .38-55-255 cartridge which was still a black powder cartridge. You should load the rounds to black powder velocities using smokeless powder....