In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1991 A1 questions

minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a M1991A1 Compact that came in contact with the inside of a thumbreak holster snap and now has a round shiny polished ring on the rear of the slide just above the safety that I would like to hide. Colt called this finish 'matte blue'. I can't find a bake on finish for matte blue. Any clues as to what might match?
I guess I could just go with the 'tactical' matte black on the slide if necessary but I was hoping to return it to original color.

I'm aware that Colt will do it, but I don't like to tempt the freight handlers. (plus I'm cheap poor)

Also is this gun basically the same dimensions as the officers model and would parts interchange?
It looks to be, but I don't have one to compare.
(I find plenty of parts listings for Officers Model but not much for Compact)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Allen

Comments

• Options
    PauperPauper Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    minitruck83,

I understand that you are aware that Colt can do the refinish. However, if you want it done expertly and properly in my opinion, my thoughts are, I'd send it back to Colt. They can return it to its original finish.

You really don't have to send the whole gun back. If all that is in question is a blemish on the slide, you can take the slide off the receiver, strip the slide of all parts and just send the stripped slide to Colt to be refinished. I personally would not try to take the sights off the slide - I'd never try to take off the front sight. The rear sight is a judgment call but for me, no way, I'd leave the sights on the slide. Let Colt deal with the sights, they're the professionals.

The slide can be sent to Colt and there are no BATF restrictions or FFL involvement required for just a slide to be shipped to Colt, anyone or any where else in the USA. By just sending the slide you don't have to get involved in possibly doing a 4473 FFL log out or log back in paperwork which may be required for sending the entire pistol. I'm sure you are aware, the receiver part - the serialized numbered lower or lower frame part is actually considered the critical part of the pistol and that is where BATF rules can and do get involved.

I just called Colt a couple of weeks ago regarding having a 1911 slide refinished for myself. They told me at that time it would cost approximately $75.00 (+ $15.00 for shipping it back) to have them redo a 1911 slide that had a matte blue finish and approximately $100.00 (+ $15.00 for shipping it back) to have them redo a 1911 slide that had a high polished blue finish. Everyone has their own economic standards concerning what is too much to pay, but that doesn't sound like too bad of a price to me.

Regarding your question comparing the M1991A1 Compact to the 1911A1 Officers Model, It is my understanding from my gunsmith if remember correctly, that most if not all of the lower receiver parts on both these pistols are pretty much interchangeable. The two slides are also (I think), but some fitting possibly may be required. However, some of the internals on the two different slides are not interchangeable. You can correct me if I'm wrong (or someone else will I'm sure), but I believe that your Compact doesn't have a barrel bushing (has Bull type barrel with no bushing), where as the Officers Model does have a barrel bushing sure (I have several of those).

May be this info will be of some interest and/or help to you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pauper. Thanks for the advice.

This particular gun (94) has the solid type barrel bushing,and the belled barrel, not sure that it came with it though,might have had a replacement barrel/bushing added later. I have no idea what the PO did to it. Shoots well though.

Allen
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The finish on a 1991A1 is a dull black oxide. Same as conventional gun blue except the steel was not polished first. I would degrease and apply cold blue to darken the rub mark from the holster snap. Any other refinish would not be what I consider cost effective.

The 1991A1 Compact is mechanically the same as the Officer's ACP. All OACP parts will work, but that does not mean they will work without fitting.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,009 ******
    edited November -1
    Brownell's Oxpho-Blue.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's what I like to hear! [8D]

I've got some Oxpho-Blue around here somewhere.
    I tried one of those BC magic marker type pens and it looked worse than the bare metal.

Hawk. That a part would require some fitting doesn't surprise me. I've found that even so-called 'drop in' parts usually need some little adjustment or touch from a file.

I think I'll try to tighten this slide up a little before trying the cold blue.
    (in case I scuff it up even more [B)])

Thanks

Allen
  • Options
    celsecelse Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello
    Send it to my store Precision Gunsmithing Corp. I will match or it's free. My phone number is 217-585-1911 and address is 4769 Jeffory Street, Springfield, Illinois 62703. See my store on line at precisiongunsmith.com
    John
  • Options
    shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't beat the offer celse made you. When you ship to whomever make sure to insure it for at least double what it will cost to replace it just if somthing does happen.