In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.22lr handgun for youth

pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have four boys 5,8,9.5,14

I want to get them a .22 handgun that they can handle properly and learn good aiming and shooting tech. Please give me advice. Thank you in advance.

Pete

Comments

• ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ruger single six --accurate, economically priced, will outlast the kids. If you have a bigger wallet then a S&W k-17 is a great buy. If you are on a really tight budget the Taurus 94 is hard to beat. You can of course get them an auto like a ruger or beretta but for novice shooters a revolver is a good start.
  • shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for the Ruger Single Six
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    High Standard Victor or any other High Standard .22. I like to carry around a Sentinal for plinking and such. Holds nine shots.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tend to agree with ruger41, but will add the model 34 or model 63 kit gun from Smith & Wesson. I will also subtract the Taurus anything. They are junk, and can not be depended upon.

Best
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Ruger Single Six. If they have small hands, go for the Ruger Bearcat.
  • RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All good suggestions, I'll add a S&W Model 18 to the pile of revolvers and a ruger Mark II or earlier model if you are considering a self loading pistol. My kids learned with a standard Ruger pistol that is still going strong after 30 years!
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    single six is great ....if your are getting one for each would recommend heritage for economy....prefer a single action WITH adjustable sight for beginner
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bearcat, Single Six, S&W 63, Ruger and Browning also have fine semi-autos.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Single Six would be an excellent choice.
    Double action with swing out cylinder has the (advantage?) of quick and easy check of all chambers for possible live rounds.
    I started at age 5 with a Woodsman, but as a general rule would go with the revolver; adjustable sights a real plus.