In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

'92 / 53 / 65

riley priley p Member Posts: 217 ✭✭
edited April 2009 in Ask the Experts
I'm sure this has been covered many times but I'm out of the loop...Sort of... Question is: What exactly is the difference between a Winchester 1892 and a Model 53 and a Model 65. If see the "pistol grip" stock on a 65 and I thought on a 53 and thought ah-ha that's the difference but no; recently came across a 53 with a straight grip at the lever loop. Better steel in the 53 / 65??
Why did Winchester call basically the same action a different product??

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Riley,

The Winchester Model 1892/92, 53, and 65 are the exact same action, just made at different times (the Model 65 replaced the Model 53 in 1933). The Model 53 was not made with a pistol grip (except maybe as a special order only), whereas the Model 65 was standard with a pistol grip. Additionally, the barrel steel alloy was changed from Nickel Steel to Proof Steel.

When Winchester introduced the Model 53 in January of 1924, it was simply a new variant of the Model 92. It featured a 22" standard Nickel Steel barrel and Take Down versus the 24" standard barrel length and solid frame on the Model 92 Sporting Rifle or the 20" standard barrel on the Model 92 Carbine. It was offered in all of the same cartridges as the Model 92 (e.g. 44 W.C.F., 38 W.C.F., 32 W.C.F., and the 25-20 W.C.F.)

In January of 1933, the Model 65 was introduced and replaced the Model 53. Instead of being a Take Down, the Model 65 featured a solid frame only, and with a pistol grip. The 44 W.C.F. was discontinued, and a new cartridge (the 218 Bee) was introduced.

Of interest, The Winchester Models 94, 55, and 64 paralled the Models 92, 53, and 65.
  • riley priley p Member Posts: 217 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As always, many thanks. And yes, the '94 and it's variants was to be my next question.