In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Possible Miquelet? Stamped Ano D 1822

babywilsonbabywilson Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
Any help in identifying this? Hope the photos aren't too large.

Thanks in advance!

eibar01.jpg
eibar02.jpg
eibar03.jpg
eibar04.jpg
eibar05.jpg
eibar06.jpg
eibar07.jpg

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    babywilsonbabywilson Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I kinda figured it was Spanish. Any thoughts on authenticity and is the age correct? What kind of condition is this in? How much money should this bring if I put it up for auction on Gun Broker? Also I want to make sure I have a description that is accurate. Anyone on here interested in helping me learn more about this gun? Thanks!
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A number of European collectors and dealers post to this forum "antiqueguns.com", You can find it by GOOGLING. They have a board specifically for pre 1899 firearms. Although it looks like it's authentic, it's a tough call? So much spurious stuff has come out of the Eibar region of Spain over the years it might be a modern made replica, that has been aged. 1822 seems to be a awful late DOM for a Miquelet pistol of this type. Percussion pistols were being made at this time, and were making flint ignition obsolete viturally overnight.
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice condition small belt pistol, good workmanship indicates not a repro, made at peak of flint - miq period, looks like a little brazing repair on hammer lower jaw, ramrod missing. See belt hook on side. The cartouche of letters on top of barrel likely maker's mark, probably identifiable with proper reference. Looks like URIUIOLA which could be initials, abbreviations of name. It was common for all to be run together. Might be worth cleaning, using non-metal brush like old toothbrush. Post on GB auctions at $500, might bring quite a bit more.

A possible reference is: A History of Spanish Firearms by James D. Lavin. You might get your local library to try to find a copy.
  • Options
    altnuttaltnutt Member Posts: 80
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much for the responses. I will be listing the gun for sale here on GB soon. I will post pictures of two other guns I have that I have no idea about. Thanks RHMC24, and RUFE-SNOW.

Baby Wilson
    Altnutt