In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

cz 24 pistol

meemabeepameemabeepa Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a CZ 24 pistol that I found in a crawl space while remodeling our house. I ran a check on it; it's clean. But it's missing the barrel, slide spring, magazine, and a few other small parts. For the most part, it's there, and in good shape. Here's my problem: From what I've been able to find, this pistol was manufactured in both .380 acp and .32 cal. Without the barrel, how do I tell which I have?

On the left side of the slide is what looks like a parenthesis followed by "30." On the right side of the frame is a "J", a miniscule insignia, and "31." The left side of the frame has "CZ followed by the serial #10XXXX. It has a one-piece wraparound walnut grip. Can you help identify the caliber? I would show a photo, but haven't figured out how to do it here.
Thanks.
Jim

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I was under the impression that all CZ24 pistols were chambered in .380. Another of our members, rufe-snow, is a small pistol expert so perhaps he will pop in and add some information on calibers. The makings J 37 (it is probably not 31) are typical Czech inspector's markings. If it had Nazi acceptance markings it would be much more valuable. Frankly speaking in good shape these little guns sell for between $200-$250 (complete). Keep this in mind when you start pricing parts like a barrel and magazine in order to see if it is worth restoring the pistol or simply selling it as a parts gun.
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Right, the CZ Model 1927 is the .32 ACP variant.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got this photo off the net, it's described as being Czech military acceptance proofs on a CZ 24 pistol. If your pistol has similar markings? Other then the date? IMHO it's chambered for the .380 cartridge rather then the .32. To the best of my knowledge, the .380 was the only cartridge used by the Czech military.

czp_0074-10.JPG
  • meemabeepameemabeepa Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's the pistol! Thanks for all the help, guys. It's good to know what it's worth; Sounds as though it will cost more than it would to buy another. I'd still like to restore it if possible. Any suggestions as to where I might find the parts? I talked with the folks at Numrich Arms. They seem to have what I need. Would it be better to look for a parts gun?
    Jim
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes it is not about the money. If you can find a parts gun, get it, or buy a working model and use the present one as a parts gun in the future. Numrich is not cheap, doesen't always actually have what they say they do, but if the costs are not excessive that is another way to go.