In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

old timer Win mod 43 bee ?

cattle buyercattle buyer Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in Ask the Experts
What was the correct mod 43 peep sight, the recievers were drilled on left side, I have never or either cannot remember the peep sight. Im asking as my 42 was a late drilled and tapped so a leupold 2x7 has filled the bill for 35 years. A friend just bought one with 4 digit SN that is not drilled, the old buckhorn sights with 60 yr old eyes are bad for 'fine' work, Im sure a set of iron peeps would do just right. thanks in advance. very best

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to Stroebel's book, Lyman 57A

I didn't bother checking the Redfield section, but I'm reasonably sure they would have made one of their models for the 43 also.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Per the original Winchester catalogs, it was a Lyman 57A (if factory equipped). Because the Model 43 was factory drilled & tapped for the receiver sight, any suitable sight can be installed without affecting the collectability of the rifle.

On a side note, I just recently started a research survey of the Model 43, and am looking for as many of them as I can find. My intent is to publish an article detailing the production history. If you would like to participate in the survey, please send me a PM or email to Win1885@msn.com I have access to the complete serialization records for the Model 43, and can provide exacts dates of manufacture for those people desiring that information.