In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Hammerless Revolver in 44WCF

kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in Ask the Experts
A friend called asking about this revolver. He said it looks kind of like a Colt Detective Special but hammerless. Does anyone have an idea what this gun is?
the serial number is 33xxx.

936103_168756586620015_1002646284_n.jpg
21198_168757396619934_1678186774_n.jpg
941851_168764106619263_459283416_n.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks like a Model 1878 that bubba got his hands on. The real McCoy is in this photo. From the lack of cartridge ejector it might have been originally a "Model 1878 Storekeeper", which is a very rare and valuable model. Bubba really screwed the pooch on this one. Tke bottom photo is a original Storekeeper. Serial number dates it to the mid 90's.

EDIT #1, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Engraved or not. I don't see this being a factory original Colt. My WAG is that it would be a Wall Hanger/Conversation Piece at best. To a Colt collector, and be priced accordingly.

EDIT #2, Back in the 19th Century anything could have been possible, special order wise?

I would still like to see the the Colt letter, authenticating this particular variant of the Model 1878.

Colt_Model_1878.jpg

AGG1236-Z-F2-H.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do you have any idea on the date of manufacturing?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Some one took what was once a valuable pistol and cut the barrel off EDIT modified the hammer for one thing . Most likely made 1878-1882.About one chance in a thousandthat this modification was done by COLT . I would suggest you contact Colt archive dept and get a letter on the gun. or double click on my user name and send me a PM. I would love to examine that pistol
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the hammer has been bobbed and barrel shortened to make it into a true belly gun. The front sight is not needed for the range this gun would be used. I think the engraving looks decent and was done after the other work, not before. The gun is certainly not 'bubbaed' in my opinion. This was done by someone with skill who customized the firearm for a specific purpose. True, the value to collectors has been diminished, but at the time the work was done the owner probably could not have cared less what some future Colt connoisseur would think of it.
    It would be interesting to know the history on this one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He is checking with Colt for info.
    Anyone have a good idea of the value of the engraved colt?
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ProofHouse says 1894.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the latest edition of "The Blue Book of Altered, Mutilated, & Refinished Firearms", this revolver should sell in the $300-500 range.

Neal
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is nothing "bubba'ed" about that gun. All the work is very well done. Custom guns could be ordered from Colt, so there is a possibilty it was made to order. The engraving may also be factory.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Colt responded and is enthusiastic about this gun!
    Says it looks to be Colt special order. They are expediting the research at no charge. Engraving looks to be Colt.
  • Options
    JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the world of gundom, the term "Bubba" has a negative
    connotation. While I agree that this revolver has been
    modified and engraved after it left the factory, I don't
    think it deserves the Bubba stigma [:)]

Although its value has taken a hit due to the alterations,
    it's still a neat looking revolver and (judging by the
    photos) the work was of good quality.

Johnny