In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Blackhawk Firing Pin Removal

Grunt51Grunt51 Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in Ask the Experts
How do you remove the firing pin from Ruger Blackhawk for replacement?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The firing pin and firing pin spring in a New Model Blackhawk are retained by the bushing (also called a recoil plate), and it in turn, is retained by a cross pin through the frame. The cross pin is often difficult to see because it is polished flush with the frame and then blued.
    Once the cross pin is out, the bushing can be driven forward towards the barrel. They are VERY tight.

I do not know your background, but this is not a job for the novice. You will probably need to replace the bushing in addition to the firing pin, and probably reblue the frame.
    I would send it to Ruger's service department if you cannot find a qualified gunsmith to do this.

~Chris
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to echo Chris. Send it to Ruger, they'll take care of you.
    I sent my BN45 to them after the grip frame cracked. Three week turn around, no charge.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya Grunt-I tried this and to make a long story short I ended up shipping it to Ruger. These suggestions are right on[:(]