In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Midlength impingement Vs. Gas Piston?

lostwonlostwon Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in Ask the Experts
I'm on the fence and could use some opinions. I have a midlength BCM 4150 CMV CL bore and barrel. I just put the 12 inch FF quadrail on it with the low pro gas block. After the fact I'm feeling like maybe I should of went with the 10 inch put and put a gas piston system on her. I love my build it turned out perfectly but I'm just interested in hearing your opinions since I'm about to start on another build. Should I utilize the gas piston system on my new build? What are the major differences besides fouling?

am15.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I say leave it alone.

Edit:

Differences between piston and gas/direct impingement?

-Piston runs cleaner, and by not injecting hot gas into the guns action, it also runs cooler, both together presumably offering better reliability.

-Piston systems costs more (at this point in time).

-Various piston systems are non-standardized. This is potentially a future issue for parts availability if you have a problem/issue with your particular gun.

-Piston back-and forth stroking potentially offers more recoil impulse than gas system, and for this reason less accuracy.

Bottom line is, if its not a "fighting" gun, I don't really see any good reason to go with a piston system, unless you just hate doing routine maintenance.

If you are going to fight with it, then it becomes an issue of priority/personal preference. Is the increased reliabilty/decreased maintenance worth the other tradeoffs? It may be. . .it may not be.

I would go so far as to say, that for the overwhelming majority of shooters who a. don't shoot that often, b. can clean their guns, and c. don't expect to be taking their gun through "torture tests" of thousands of consecutive rounds without maintenance, there is little reason to get a piston gun.

Apart from a bit less cleaning, I'd say the overwhelming majority of shooters will see no advantage in a piston gun at this time.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only differences between the two that I am aware of is: a surpresser reportedly works better on a piston with shorter barrel lengths, it is a lot cleaner in the chamber bolt area, and the piston is more muzzle heavy. Reportedly, there is less wear in the chamber area due to the absence of the hot gasses and particles being blown into the chamber.

I have 3 piston and 1 DI and I spend a lot less time cleaning the piston over the DI. Accuracy seems to be about the same, but none are setup for match shooting.

Also being left handed, when shooting dirtier ammo, I don't get the gases wafted back into my face.

• Options
    edited November -1
    RSnyder55,

Thanks for the input. I appreciate your thoughts.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will tell you, that an AR-15, was not meant to be an AK-47. If it needed a gas piston, Eugene Stoner, would have designed it with one in it. They are amply reliable, without the gas piston, and contrary to popular belief, much more accurate.

However, if this is something you are building, to go bang, and are not concerned with long range precision, then have at it.

Best

EDIT 1

lostwon,

There is a company that uses POF upper's and lowers, to build utter reliable, and amazingly accurate AR-10's. They done away with the piston, and went with the gas impingement system. The GAP-10, in my safe, will hold 1/2 MOA, easily out to 600 yards, and pretty close to that at 800. At 800, it most likely has to do with my inability to read the wind. They(GA Precision...check their stuff out!) guarantee it for 3/4 MOA, with good ammo, and good scope.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tsr1965,

Thanks for your feedback I appreciate it.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All I can say is that it (PISTON) is a hell of a lot easier to clean...so I shoot more often !
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You went with the best with the BCM, IMHO. I trust my life to mine.

I have both DI and piston guns, with barrels from 14.5 to 24". I've owned and shot them recreationally, in competitions, and during monthly quals for years and years.

(Again) IMHO, the piston system was a solution to a problem that rarely exists for 99% of AR owners; overheating and huge amounts of crud build up during a non-stop multi-hundred round firefight in the desert. With decent care and lubrication, DI guns will run for lots and lots and LOTS of rounds without cleaning.

I have yet to notice a difference in reliability, or any difference in recoil, but I've seen DI guns perform with a little bit more accuracy than piston guns of similar quality. Maybe because of the fewer things moving around, or the effect of the piston mechanism moving above the barrel, I don't know.

The shorter 10" barrels are finicky with DI systems at times, maybe the piston would be more reliable with a barrel that short.

6 of one. half dozen of the other. If you want one to try out, do it up. [8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the feedback Gents you guys rock![8D]