In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Uberti Walker and 777 powder

dpajdpaj Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have a new Uberti Walker and would like to use 777 powder in it. I have seen recommended loads for the Walker ranging from 25 to 60 grains FFFg. The generic Uberti paperwork lists the max at 30 grains FFFg. What is a good load for the Uberti using 777 powder? What is the safe max load? Are there any other powders better suited to this revolver? Finally, what cap size and brand seem to work the best?

Thanks!
Dave

Comments

• Options
    ker2222ker2222 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just posted a similair question yesturday and have recieved some good info from the forum members about load. 50 grains fffg powder has been the recomendation--see "help pleas:..." post by ker2222.

As for your other questions, I have used 777 in several other bp replicas and love the stuff-so much easier to clean and, for me, easier to find and buy. In general, I have found that 777 adds about the 10% umph the manufacture indicates over actual bp. I have stuck with the anemic bp recomemdations given by uberti for their pistols but substituted 777--meaning I am actaully using a 10% hotter load. So, 18grains of fffg when using 777 in my 1851 navy is more like using 20 grains bp. This has given me good accuracy, plenty of power, and only the slightest of fouling buildup while shooting and quick easy claening.

I have tried almost all the cap combos of maker and size and have found #10 remingtons, the new ones in the green package, the best. Others like #11s and many love the CCI caps. I have had notheing but problems with the CCIs ,however. THe nipples on the italian replicas are the least "standardized" of the parts for some reason and you'll just have to try and see which best makes the gun go boom every time.

The best rule I have found with them is have fun and try different combinations of load and cap.