In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Taking my gun to Canada for Groundhogs

stringstring Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in Ask the Experts
I am going to my parents in Canada this summer and the hog hunting is fantastic.My gun there was stolen so I want to take my 22-250 with me this summer.Is this possible and how?Any info would be great.Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll have to fill out a form and pay a $50 fee to take your rifle into Canada. If a person goes up there on a guided hunt the guide service will usually take care of all the red tape (with your $50), but were I you I would telephone Canadian Customs and get pointed in the right direction.
  • Options
    j_n_lj_n_l Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you get to the border you will have to declare you firearm. You will then be instructed to go inside to customs and immigrations desk. There you will fill out a form showing make, model serial #, type of action and cal. and all your personal information.Then they will inspect you gun and check serial #. After that they will do a background check on you. If you have any type of conviction(eg,DWI,or a felony in the states) be prepared to be denied entry. You may be able to buy your way in if the conviction is very old or not very serious.That could run 200 to 500 Canadian dollars. If you are "clean" you will have to pay a $50.00(Canadian funds) declaration charge which entitles you to bring into Canada up to 3 firearms. This will be good for one year from the date of approval.If you go back to Canada before the year is up they will waive the fee.

Need has nothing to do with why we buy guns!