In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Members opinion: S&W M520(Desired, collectible)?

AimhighAimhigh Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in Ask the Experts
I want to gain knowledge, on the S&W M520(Four-inch barrel, Made for the NYSP, in 1980)in terms of:

1)Desireability to own by Forum members?

2)Collectibility?

3)Any other Info, about the M520?

4)M520, owner's opinion's(Pro, or Con)?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M520's were made for the NYSP, but not accepted; I don't know why. They were sold through the S&W distributors. With only about 3,000 made, they are collectible, but only NIB. Fired, they shouldn't bring a lot more than the M681's which NYSP DID accept.

I wouldn't worry about "desireability" of any gun. The important thing is to find guns that are desireable to YOU. Everyone like different things. Buy what you like at a price that you think is fair.

Neal
  • Options
    CFPythonCFPython Member Posts: 413 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they were rejected because the N Frame was too large for the hands of a lot of troopers. Many years ago you had to be at least 6' and weigh so much to get on a lot of agencies (especially the state police). When the discrimination lawsuits started, and women and small statured men had to be hired, a lot of agencies changed guns. NYSP started I believe with the Colt New Service which was HUGE. They also issued the S&W 28 for a while, but did not like the fragile adjustable rear sight. Almost all of their issued guns over the years have had fixed sights except for the 28. The 520 was just a fixed sighted 28 to make the NYSP happy. I almost bought a 520 about 10 years ago, but didn't because it wasn't department marked. By the way, anyone who has a 681, 28 or 65 that's NYSP marked, and wants to sell it, let me know.

The only thing worse than lawbreakers, are lawmakers.
  • Options
    WheelgunWheelgun Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the reason the Model 520's weren't delivered to the NYSP might be due to the introduction of the L frame guns (581, 586, 681 & 686) at about time the 520's were to be delivered.

Don't believe any 520's had NYSP markings, but that's not the Gospel....

As to whether or not they're collectible, consider that the 520 is the only fixed sighted 'N' frame .357 Magnum S&W ever made....

Mark
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Few were made and as pointed out above only fixed sight 357 N made.

Also as mentioned above, NIB would have more value than fired revolvers, same as with any gun. But this model is not a "hot item" in collecting circles.

If you have a chance to pick one up for a good price go ahead, you'll get your money back.

Blue Book on 100% is $325, but I think that figure is a little conservative.

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!