In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

centering the dials on a scope

bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in Ask the Experts
I was wondering how accurate it is to recenter the internals of a scope?

I purchased a 8.5-25x50LRT Leupold that was slightly used.

Do I count the total number of clicks that it has on both windage and elevation knobs and put it in the center of these?

Does anyone know what the total travel that this scope has?

If so, all I would have to do is turn it till it stops and count back half that amount.

Right?

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER

Comments

• Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    quote:I was wondering how accurate it is to recenter the internals of a scope?Centering the scope has nothing to do with accuracy. Where it does help is on your initial setup. It allows you to center the scope as best you can on the initial gross adjustments, primarily windage. It allows you keep the reticle in the center portion of the scope optics, so you will not encounter edge optical abberations.quote:Do I count the total number of clicks that it has on both windage and elevation knobs and put it in the center of these?Yep!quote:If so, all I would have to do is turn it till it stops and count back half that amount.Yep!

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."[V]

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One extreme to the other and than 1/2 way back is how it's done. Don't force it, when it starts to get stiff your at the end of travel.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boomerang,Tailgunner: Thats what I thought.

Thanks

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll probably find that you will need to shim your base to keep the elevation centered on what ever distance your zeroing to. If you find your windage is off there's not much you can do unless you have or buy a base that permits gross windage adjustment.

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bore sight it once you have it on the rifle it will save you a whole lot of time

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE