In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Burgess "Pump"

d.l.h.d.l.h. Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me about a Burgess Gun Company "pump" shotgun.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Most people are unaware that Andrew Bugess was second only to John Browning in firearms patents awarded to American designers, as well as his early years as an assistant to Mathew Brady. He was a fasinating man, well traveled in an era when people seldom left their home state much less the USA (I admire well travel people) and his shotguns were just as interesting. Although a slide action, the Burgess guns did not use the forearm to cycle the action as this method of operation was already patented. Instead Burgess desined a sliding pistol grip which would retract down along the stock...ingenious!

There were sporting and police versions of the Burgess and most were in 12 gauge. With its patented folding feature these 6 shot police guns became very popular, not only with police, but marshals, bank gaurds and other folks who needed rapid firepower in a compact pakage. There was also a very neat holster for the Burgess shotgun which carried the gun folded along the wearers right side (I've never seen a left handed version) but when removed the gun could be locked into firing position very quickly. These were very fast firing shotguns and turn of the century exhibition shooter Charles Dammon performed many amazing feats of speed and accuracy with the Burgess.

By the time Winchester introduced the Browning designed Model 1893 Burgess was in poor health and in 1897 Winchester approached him with an offer to buy him out (at the same time their own Model 1897 was ready for introduction). In late 1899 Burgess retired and sold out to Winchester who promptly withdrew the Burgess shotgun from the market resulting in Winchester's near total of the entire repeating shotgun market. I could go on for several more pages about these interesting shotguns, but this should give you a good overview.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mark,

Thanks much for the great info. It is an interesting firearm. I wish mine were in better condition.

God shooting,

Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Boy, what a slip! That should be "good shooting."

Please forgive.

Dave