In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Problems with a walther

lowlifelowlife Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited March 2004 in Ask the Experts
My daughter has a p22 walther, nice little gun for her, however, it jams or misfeeds usually once sometimes twice per magazine. I've tried 3 different types of ammo. Winchester,federal and blazer, with no different results. It has been owned for about 6 months and only has about 200 rounds through it. Good practice for her but it can be annoying after a while. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• InvictaInvicta Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother bought a P22 about a month ago and we have put about 1500 rounds through it without a single problem. We have shot winchester power-points, winchester 40gr target loads, and some remington 36gr hollowpoints. Give your gun a good cleaning and it should work properly. Good luck!
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    I've always had luck with American Eagle AE22. Also, CCI Mini Mags.

Does it shoot well for you? Is the wrist locked?

Walther is good about problems. They will even send you a Fed-Ex return label if you think it is faulty. (Just don't write "gun in box" on shipping container).
  • sig-mansig-man Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone I know with a P-22 has said that they are ammo picky,we found that they like CCI Blazers and Stingers the best. We tried American Eagle,Winchester,and Federal, and found that the heavier high velocity ammo preformed better.Hope this helps, good luck...

GO BIG ORANGE !!
  • billybassbillybass Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a P22 and think its one of the best 22's I have ever owned,but it did need a 600 round break in, also it needs a good cleaning after each 200 rounds, that means the mags too, the barrell bushing needs to be tightened at each cleaning, hi-power ammo seems to work best, winchester & feaderal 40grn solid point are perfect,after each shooting I use Rem-oil just a dab on a Q-tip on the slide and few of the moving parts. Dont give up on your P-22 its a fine pistol and besides being a fun plinker with those 10 round mags it can protect you fine Billy
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let the "stingers" do the work. I tried some others, very quirky with ammo/ Most of the junk in the Marts id just that. nambu
  • gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second (or is that third?)the Stingers. I've also had good luck with Remington Golden Bullet ammo.

-Marcus
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find someone with a P22 that functions well and try his magazine in your gun. If, with the different magazine, your gun works well, you've found the problem.

Manufacturing processes on guns is close tolorance. Not so with magazines. Some fit guns sloppy and cause malfunctions. I've seen Colt .380 and Walther PP magazines with catch notches 1/16" off.

My humble suggestion,
    Rafter-S
  • schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always use the CCI stinger in any semi-auto weapon (handgun or long gun). I also keep semi's EXTRA clean and oiled.

GOOD LUCK!

"meet me in Margaritaville"
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    My p22 combo (2 barrels 3" & 5") eats anything, about 300rds thru it.
    After breaking it in with 100rds of CCI mini-mags, now shoots Wal-mart bulk pack Federals.
    Did find a small burr on the 3" barrel feed ramp that would catch the nose of hollow points that would cause a stovepipe condition.
    Took a dremel tool with a SMALL amount of fine grit valve lapping compund to polish the ramp cured that problem.
    Allways tap the backside of the loaded mag to seat the shells against the back of the mag.
    walte
  • jlgray70jlgray70 Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have owned a p22 for over 3 years and have over 3000 rounds thru mine. I have always shot the CCI mini mags and never had a jam.