In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipping Firearms?

MillerMiller Member Posts: 175 ✭✭
edited April 2005 in Ask the Experts
Wanted to know what some of you do when shipping firearms. Do you use UPS ground or other? Never shipped before so I wanted to know what method you guys use.

Comments

• Options
    oneshyoneshy Member Posts: 417
    edited November -1
    For long guns I use USPS. 11lb. $700 ins. from La. to Vt. $18.70. Handguns legally must be shipped Fed-Ex, UPS, etc.
  • Options
    nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    UPS and FEDEX require handguns be shipped via next day air (to minimize loss from employee theft). Additionally FEDEX requires any gun be "disabled".Although a nonlicensee may legally ship a firearm to an FFL in any state, both have problems explaining this to their employees; you must declare the contents as "Firearm for repair" to get your package accepted by most clerks.Neal
  • Options
    KanoukKanouk Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went to UPS sub station today. They would not accept the boxed long gun. Under "new" rules (shown to me) no substation can ship a gun, long or hand. Shipper must be a UPS account customer, then the gun will be picked up from the "account" address & sent to an FFL dealer. I was "frosted". Went to Post office & shipped "name to name" (from me[FFL dealer name] to the name of the FFL dealer). Better check with UPS.
  • Options
    BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went to UPS substation yesterday to ship gun sold on auction. Left box open, showed lady the gun was "disabled" by wrapping bolt separate from rifle. She talked leery, but I assured her that we were all in compliance if I shipped to FFL holder. Showed her the original signed copy, taped box closed heard nothing more. Happy story? Maybe not, it was her first day working the counter so I don't know about the next time. Several drivers came up front though and she told them all about my gun. They seemed to care less.KC
  • Options
    Master7thSonMaster7thSon Member Posts: 229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If UPS quits shipping our firearms----then we should stop using them for everything else as well!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BTW----you can call UPS@ 1-800-742-5877and schedule a pick-up from your home or biz
    it's a little-known fact
    but there is no extra charge for this service...you should be able to 'create' an account at that time if that will satisfy some requirements.
  • Options
    nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What do you guys mean by "substation"? Do you mean the Customer Service Counter at a UPS terminal?If you mean a package shipping store like Kinko or Mail Boxes Etc, then it should be no surprise; UPS/FEDEX have never permitted them to accept firearms.Neal
  • Options
    holyshotholyshot Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just shipped a long gun by U.P.S (regular Joe Citizen to a dealer). It was at an actual U.P.S hub. Fortunate to have one near by. Had no problem at all.
  • Options
    RAT383RAT383 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just shipped a S&W Mod 19 Comm. value at $900.00 Via FEDEX OVERNIGHT PRI-1, they delivered it to the wrong address, no one home, left it on the door step. They did get it back before it was stolen, or opened, but now said it wouldn't be delivered until 3/1/02. I hope they get it right this time.
  • Options
    Harleeman1030Harleeman1030 Member Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shipped two (2) long guns in the last 2 weeks UPS from Florida no problems..Had more trouble finding the boxes HAHA
    Please don't tell my mom i work in the oilfield..She thinks i play the piano in a bordello...
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the USPS for all of them.I have access to an FFL that is on some form the USPS has to have on file.Shipped a Ruger # 3 in 22 Hornet today with Insurance and Del Conf for $13.50.cpermd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you are a non FFL holder
    you cant use usps or ups
    your only choice on the plate is fed ex overnight
    they quoted me a price of over $70 to ship a hand gun.
    needless to say I will either seek an FFL holder for assistance or give the gun to my son.

"I will NOT attempt to re-arrange the furniture on the deck of the Titanic."
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Master7thSon
    If you are a non FFL holder
    you cant use usps or ups
    your only choice on the plate is fed ex overnight
    they quoted me a price of over $70 to ship a hand gun.
    needless to say I will either seek an FFL holder for assistance or give the gun to my son.

You don't have to be an FFL holder to ship any firearm with UPS or long guns with USPS. Also, contrary to popular belief, UPS will accept firearms shipments for any legal purpose, not just shipping for repair. Here is the applicable portion of their tarrif.

Firearms will be transported between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers and licensed collectors, as defined in the United States Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618, enacted October 22, 1968), as amended by the Firearms Owners' Protection Act (P.L. 99-308, approved May 19, 1986, and a subsequent amendment thereto, P.L. 99-360, approved July 8, 1986)("the acts"). law enforcement agencies of the United States or of any department or agency thereof, and law enforcement agencies of any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof, and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state, or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local law. The shipper must affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery to each package containing a firerm. Adult means a person 21 years of age or older. UPS, in its sole discretion, may require the shipper to select a UPS Next Day Air Service for any shipment containing a firearm. Handguns, as defined by the Acts, will only be accepted for transportation via UPS Next Day Air Services, but will not be accepted for transportation via UPS Drop Boxes, Internet Shipping, or in response to a request for On-Call Pickup Service. Firearms, including handguns, will not be accepted when presented for shipment at locations of The UPS Store or any Third Party Retailer (as described in Item 1090).