In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Who made the "Kodiac" .22 semi-auto rifle?

But If NotBut If Not Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
edited April 2005 in Ask the Experts
Does anybody know who made the "Kodiac" .22 semi-auto rifle?

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    If you mean KODIAK (and not "Kodiac"), the Kodiak Model 260 was the first .22 magnum semi-auto rifle ever produced. It was manufactured by the short-lived (1963-1966) Kodiak Company of North Haven, Ct.

-Spider spider2.gif
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My references note that that Kodiak was located in North Haven Conn. They were in business for a relatively short period of time, circa 1960's. Besides 22 rifles they made other long guns, ( centerfire rifles & shotguns ), in small quantities. There is some speculation that they had a connection with Colt, and some of Colt's longarms of that period were there products.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you are right about Kodiak and Colt connection. History on this is sketchy, but I think I've read that Jefferson Arms became Kodiak Arms (R.L. Wilson I think). I saw them listed in old Gun Digest at same address in North Haven as well. Jefferson Arms may have made the Colteer 1-22 single shot for Colt who eventually made them themselves and then got into the semi-auto .22's. If you take a close look at the Kodiak .22 magnum (I actually examined one at an auction) it looks identical (externally) to the Colteer 4-22. I'm not sure it had the alloy receiver like the Colts however. Kodiak did make some high-power rifles and the Colt highpower rifles, before they went European, looked alot like the Kodiak. The early 60's Gun Digests do depict the Kodiak Company rifles.