In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

bullet selection

sendero270huntersendero270hunter Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
edited April 2005 in Ask the Experts
i've got a remington 700 lss in 300 ultra, and i wanted to know what bullet would be the best for whitetails under 200 yards. I've got an older guy that is going to teach me to reload, and want to know what bullet to buy. thanks

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Non-premimum bullets, start looking at the 220gr and up offerings.
    Premimum bullets (IE Nosler partition) you can drop down to 180gr.
    The difference is the impact velocity the bullets are made for, standards like to hit at under 2900, the premimums will take 3200 impact speeds.

For under 200yd deer, your severly overgunned. You'd be better off launching a 150gr pill out of a 308 (less recoil + less expense = more practice for the dollar = better shooter.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    You are way over gunned here. Shots under 200 yards??? I would stick with the heavier pills for the .300 RUM. This is a 1000 yard caliber rifle (if it shoots)...maybe you should open it up a little bit.

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullets are usually/often designed with a cartridge in mind. In 30cal the classic bullet for .308win is 150g, 30-06 is 150/165g, 300winmag is 180/200g. You might actually want to address this question to some of the actual bullet makers like, Barnes, Speer, Swift, Nosler to see what they recomend. In the reloading manuals more often then not the warnings are about too little velosity and the bullet won't open up properly. In varmint reloading there are cases where too much speed will tear a bullet apart midflight. With your RUM I'd expect that most 180g bullets would hold up in flight, but might open too fast on impact. For my 300Weatherby I hunt deer size game (mountain mulies) with 180gNosler Partitions, which is overkill but they carry well. More often I leave the WBY home and use a rifle more in size with the game being hunted, like my 25-06 or 280rem.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a lot of different bullet choices out there for the .30 caliber, but for deer I would definitley reccomend trying a bullet around 150 to 165 Gr. Maybe 180 Gr at the most. I have a .300 win mag and the 168 Gr. Balistic Tips have shot excellent out of that and perform well on deer. I would say that all a 200 Gr. bullet or bigger is gonna do is give you more recoil, that you don't need. It might not even have the chance to mushroom which in the end would do less damage than a 150 Gr. Just remeber that bigger bullets aren't always better(especially when dealing with thin-skinned game). You may have to try a couple of different loads and bullets before you find the magic combination, but once you start to reload I think you will find it to be quite fun. Good luck!!!
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First of all, I do not think you are over gunned. Can you kill a deer "Too dead?" I have been scorned for hunting whitetail with my .338 RUM, but guess what? It did not do any more damage than my 30-06 or my .280. I reccomend the Nosler Ballistic tip 180 gr. It should expand fine. I bet you meant you rarely ever get a shot over 200 yds, which is the case with a lot of hunters whether they admit it or not. Some of the old timers at the hunt club only use .30-30's and .243's for deer, saying anything bigger is "too much gun". I think it is hogwash. I prefer to be "overgunned" than undergunned anyday. It all depends on how much meat you are comfortable with sacrificing. The difference is miniscule.

"They call me Don. Dr. Jason Donald Dalinger."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yes that's what i meant...i wish that i could get shots over 200 yards, but i hunt some pretty thick woods. thanks don, nosler ballistic tips...i'll check into them. by the way...i do own a 270, 308 win, two 30-06, a 480 ruger, and my 300, so i have my choice of rifle....just the 300 is my new baby, and i wanna use it for deer. thanks again
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think you are going to be impressed with the performance of the .300 RUM. I almost got the .300, but at the last second, opted for the .338. Another nice thing about these magnum cartridges is in some situations, the extra power is to your advantage. (I'll probably get negative feedback for this, but it is a true story)I was deer hunting a few years ago and saw a large spike in the process of breeding a doe in some high broom straw. He was facing directly away from me and if I had waited until he finished doing business, he would have been totally concealed by the tall broom straw. I knew this was my only shot at him while he was high up on top of her, and I knew the cartridge was ADEQUETE for the job, so I held right on his hind side and fired. He went down and she bounded away unharmed. When we skinned him, the wound channel went all the way to his neck. In other words, it shot through him longways. I would not have tried this with any other caliber. There was very little meat lost.

• Options
    edited November -1
    everyone is telling me that i went overboard! i love the way the rifle looks and feels. besides like u said...u can't kill a deer "too dead" u say that the 338 Ultra doesn't tear a deer up anyworse than the infamous '06 would...?
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 300RUM that I shoot in 1k yd light gun matches and I can say that for 200yds,..you ARE overgunned. My pard used that rifle for a 275yd shot friday night, and tried to hold all 16lbs of it offhanded when he had to move quickly. He hit the deer a bit far back, and completely removed the rear half of the internals which were dangling out the far side. I have hit whitetails at well over 300yds with, and they were "soup" inside. I traversed one from stem to stern at 406 lasered yds a few weeks back, and the rear ham where the bullet exited for parts unknown was unuseable. That was with Matchking bullets. I am a firm beleiver in balistic tips,..and I can tell you for sure, they are far more explosive than the matchking. If you must use that rifle for shots that close on game that light, then use the 200gr accubond so damage is less and the bullet doesn't explode on impact.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sendero, In my experiences, the .338 has not done any more damage to the meat than my other rifles. Maybe it is the load I am using. I load the 200 gr. Nosler BT with 80 gr of H-4831 SC. It is very accurate and effective. If it totally blew the deer apart and ruined the meat like it did for JustC, I would stop deer hunting with it, but that has not been the case. I know a lot of people who hunt deer with the .300 RUM and the .300 WinMag and do not experience excessive tissue damage. Good luck with the gun.