In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

7x57R firearms

jb3jb3 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited May 2005 in Ask the Experts
I would like to know what firearms use the 7x57R cartridge?

Comments

• rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    I don't know specific models but I do know they were used in combo double rifle/shotguns and drillings.

The 7x57Rmm is a rimmed version of the standard 7x57 Mauser cartridge. It was used mostly in double barrel, break-open action rifles in Africa on thin skinned game.
  • heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi JB,

European rifles referred to as Drillings or combination guns were commonly are found in 7x57R caliber. The Europeans, especially the Germans and English, were primary users of these types of rifles to suit the wide variety of game they encountered and their desire to have one gun do-it-all. The combination guns used multiple bores (sometimes up to 4 barrels) to include both rifle calibers and shotgun gauges.

Here is a link to illustrate an example:

http://www.hallowellco.com/combinat.htm

Regards,

Heavyiron

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Currently, I can only think of a couple of 7x57R chambered guns. CDNN was advertising an o/u 12ga & 7x57R and someone else had a european made single barrel rifle in that. Dimensionally it is almost the same as the rimless and uses the same loadings.

Mobuck<BR>
  • joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Fraser single shot chambered for the 7X57R.