In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22-454 casull wildcat

cody45cody45 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
edited May 2005 in Ask the Experts
Who can help with info on this wildcat. I have a set of dies, forming and loading in this caliber made by Freedom Arms. Need load data and any background on this wildcat. thanx in advance.

Comments

• Options
    25-0625-06 Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir, can not provide much info, but this is what I know. In 1981, I had a Ruger #3, 22 Hornet that had been rechambered for this cartridge. I traded for it with the dies and 100 formed cases. It was based on the 454 case necked to .22 caliber. It was kinda funny looking, but was very accurate and was supposed to produce high velocities. I did not have a chronograph then, so can not verify that claim. Casull developed the cartridge in the late '70's, but due to the difficulty of forming cases, it did not become very popular. It took several steps and annealing the cases to form them and loss was quite high. The two loads that I used were with a 45 gr. bullet, one used 34.0 grs. H-335, the other was 27.0 grs. 4227. Both were max loads. That is all I know about the cartridge, sorry I could not be of more help. If it were me, due to the complexity of forming the case, I would find another cartridge to play with.