In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Barrel Question

jonesj8jonesj8 Member Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
edited May 2005 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking at a gun that's being sold as is. There is a bulge in the barrel and the headspace is gone, among other cosmetic problems, but my question is, what would cause a bulge in the barrel, and what do they mean about the headspace being gone?

Comments

• jonesj8jonesj8 Member Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have barrel threaded for the 7mm stw that I no longer need. It is for a remington 700. Is it possible to have this rechambered for a 7mm-08 and threaded to fit the model seven.

Thanks
    John
    edited November -1
    I would like to know for my Data base what is a hammer forged barrel?

Rugster
    edited November -1
    What all barrels will fit a winchester model 120 20ga youth?

Thanks

Ray

More Powder, More Lead, More Dead
    edited November -1
    Will a post64(newer) Win.94 barrel fit a older (pre64) action? Thanks!

Work'n like a dog all nite
  • D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No to your question. The STW chamber is too large . I dont think you can cut enough off the chamber end (shorten) and have enough shoulder left to rechamber.If it is a large diameter bull barrel it could possibly be done if enough length was left for the 7mm/08 barrel after cutting the old chamber off.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    D.S. COLE has it nailed. I would doubt that even a sendero barrel could be made to work after cutting 3" off it to allow the new chamber. If you were to have the need of another magnum chambering with the same case dia, then you could POSSIBLY get away with that. Now,..if you were to maybe rechamber to a WSM or RSAUM, you could get that done much easier as the case bode is quite wide and you would only lose maybe 1.5-2" of barrel.

Sell that barrel for $50, and go with a new tube from a respected manufacturer. Wilson XX and Lilja are available from brownells for a decent price.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?