In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old powder question.

ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2005 in Ask the Experts
Bought some reloading stuff at a garage sale today and found a full un-opened can of Hercules smokeless Bullseye pistol powder. I'm no expert so I'll ask a couple of questions. The warning label states the it is a double base powder containing nitroglycerin and nitrocellulose. Is this not safe? Am I lucky to have made it home? Is there any intrest in this old powder can or it's contents, as far as collectability?
Thanks in advance.

Good luck out there.

Comments

• Options
    Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RELAX!!! It's about as safe as matches. The "nitroglycerine" is suspended in the media and needs a spark in an enclosed container to cause any proiblem. A small pinch (3.5gr) will propel a 158 gr .357 slug at 800 fps. As far as value goes, 8oz. of bullseye retails for maybe $7.00. The cans are interesting, but too common to be worth much in the next 30 years.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cool thanks oldhickory.[8D]

Good luck out there.
  • Options
    robkelly2242robkelly2242 Member Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For years I used Bullseye in .38 Special, 1.5 grains powder and a 158 gr. lead wadcutter seated flush for a target load.. It was fairly quiet for a .38 and pretty accurate too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by robkelly2242
    For years I used Bullseye in .38 Special, 1.5 grains powder and a 158 gr. lead wadcutter seated flush for a target load.. It was fairly quiet for a .38 and pretty accurate too.

Along with the powder was a Lee Loader for .38 and some .38 bullets and small primers. Now I just need a .38.[8D]

Good luck out there.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:The warning label states the it is a double base powder containing nitroglycerin and nitrocellulose.

this is what makes it smokeless powder, it is in all of them in one form or another
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Target shooters have been using BULLS-EYE for years in their 45 target loads The older stuff seems to be slightly HOTTER then the newest made but is stored properly if will last for many years I am useing some over 30 years old. If it smells like acetone it is OK is it smell sour best to put around your srubs or trees.Some powders are single base and some double base both kinds are good."praise the hardball gun"
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ginmaster
    quote:Originally posted by robkelly2242

Along with the powder was a Lee Loader for .38 and some .38 bullets and small primers. Now I just need a .38.[8D]

Good luck out there.
    SOUNDS LIKE A PRETTY GOOD REASON TO BUY A 38 SPECIAL [:D]

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.