In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Chamber fluting

buckdeerbuckdeer Member Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
edited May 2005 in Ask the Experts
i was asked to reload some 30-06 ammo for a coworker. while resizing five cases (federal headstamps) got severely hard to resize. when i made a closer inspection they appeared to me to have been fired in a fluted chamber(evenly spaced raised places running along the case almost to the shoulder). this got me to wondering what gun they were fired in. it has to be a military gun of some sort. did the garands have fluted chambers , i wouldn't thinks so? maybe a BAR or one of the browning belf fed machine guns of WWI or WWII ? help me out its going to drive me crazy till i know. thanks

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only common rifles with fluted chambers that come to mind are the Heckler & Koch military and sporting rifles. This was because of their mechanism was recoil operated, with minimal primary extraction. Most of their rifles are chambered for the 223 & 308 family of cartridges.
    There is one rare sporting model, ( 940 ) that was chambered for 30-06, it was last imported in the 80's. That's the only 30-06 I can think of with a fluted chamber?

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only fluted chamber rifle I know of is a Cetme and the HK clones. However,most of these are in 308 caliber.

Regards,

Heavyiron

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on whether the flutes appeared to be totally uniform or not. I've seen a similar result of using a very light load or using a rifle with a much oversize chamber neck. Either will allow gas to flow back aroung the case collapsing areas just behind the shoulder.

Mobuck<BR>
  • Options
    buckdeerbuckdeer Member Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info, i guess that narrows it down to a HK of some sort. mobuck the flutes a very uniform around the entire case from near shoulder to near casehead. thanks again
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a thought.

Aren't some machine gun chambers fluted?

This might explain the 30-06 caliber.

Regards,

Heavyiron

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have reloaded for others also ..... a long time ago. It was rewarding to see others realize and enjoy what we developed.

I am not so young and much wiser....no kiddin.

If ANYTHING happens..A N Y T H I N G...Their friendly wife/mom/dad/sis/etc. that just loves you to death will change before your eyes if their loved one has a firearm mis-hap and has your hand-loads. It won't matter a grain of bullseye that the ammo had nothing to do with it. You won't have a primer to pee on when the lyers get done.
    Let them use your loadin gear if you MUST....even that can haunt you.

yep, its a crappy deal.

If we do not hang together,
    We will most certainly hang separately.