In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

black hills ammo

sendero270huntersendero270hunter Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
edited May 2005 in Ask the Experts
They advertise a .308 with a 168 gr. JBTHP. Price for new ammo is more reasonable than most of the stuff from the majors.

A - Anyone use their ammo? Opinions?

B - Does anyone know if they manufacture their own bullets or do they use, say, Sierra, for example, in this 168 gr. round?

C - Checked their web site and could not come up with an e-mail address. Anyone have it?

Much appreciated as always.

Comments

• sendero270huntersendero270hunter Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    black hills 52 grain match hollow point ammo is punching clover leafs into my target at 100 yards. (remington 700 VSSF in 223) anyone else have a load that they recommend for a 223?
    edited November -1
    Black Hills, 300 Win Mag, 190 gr BTSP. Anyone have any input on this
    ammo (accuracy)? Shooting a Browning ABolt II w/BOSS.

Bill
    edited November -1
    Can I buy ammo direct from Black Hills? I need a case
    of 300 Win Mag.

Bill
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    I doubt that it is the ammo inconsistancy. Black Hills has always had good quality. My guess is that your rifle just does not like the particular load, bullet, or depth that the bullet is seated.

Pick a powder, primer and bullet and get the reloading bench working. Work up the right combo for your rifle. Each rifle seems to like something just a little different than another rifle. Find what yours likes.

My 2 cents

My friend is one... who takes me for what I am.
    Henry David Thoreau

"If you do not allow yourself to find a positive way to get through the difficult times, you will become bitter. If you stay bitter, you do not get better." -- Joan Brock
  • haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    What is the rate of twist in the barrel?? Less twist means lighter bullets, more twist means heavier bullets. In order to get ultimate accuracy, you are going to have to reload. Then you have to spend some time figuring out what your particular rifle wants.
    edited November -1
    i'm not complaining about the ammo! Actually i was commenting on how well it shoots. "clover leafs" are all three shots touching. meaning about 3/8" groups. i was just looking for another brand of ammo that i could have some fun testing. sorry for the misunderstanding
  • notdownoroutnotdownorout Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SENDERO,

I thought you sounded like you were more than happy. When you said cloverleaf groups I was ready to buy some of the ammo you mentioned.
    I have some of the Black Hills remanufactured in 223, but have yet to shoot any of it.
  • ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    'Cloverleafs' make my day!! :)
    there are some who would not be happy with 'em,but they are serious shooters where as I'm a fun shooter.

Throckmorton SASS #23149
  • Dyer_MakerDyer_Maker Member Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also use the BlackHills .223 remanufactured 52gr match hollow points. 5 shot groups you can cover with a quarter!!!(Weatherby SVR)Why change ammo when your rifle likes it and its only $13.99 for A box of 50? LOL
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    quote:Actually i was commenting on how well it shoots. "clover leafs" are all three shots touching. meaning about 3/8" groups.

Oh. It can do better.[:D]

My friend is one... who takes me for what I am.
    Henry David Thoreau

"If you do not allow yourself to find a positive way to get through the difficult times, you will become bitter. If you stay bitter, you do not get better." -- Joan Brock
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mine did pretty good with the 52 gr. Black hills ammo. I do better with hornady v-max in 55 gr. and Sierra's at 60 gr.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>