In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

45/70 Govt Rifle

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited May 2005 in Ask the Experts
Hey all,
I have a BFR Revolver in 45/70 Govt. I reload for it and as a result have the dies and everything. I was considering getting a rifle in this caliber as well. What are your suggestions? I was looking at the Marlin lever action with the 22" barrel. Any criticism or opinions on these? Thanks.

Comments

• DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jon, my brother has a Marlin .45-70. I recently got to shoot it. It is a nice gun. I recently bought a .45-70 also. I all ready have a Marlin lever action chambered in .444, so I wanted something different. I ended up getting the Gibbs Summit Frontier which is a bolt action. Gibbs takes a .303 SMLE receiver and reworks it adding a new Navy Arms barrel. The result is a extremely accurate bolt action .45-70. The Marlin is nice, but it did not print the groups at 100 yds like the Gibbs did. Another fine bolt action .45-70 is the Siamese Mauser, but they are hard to find. The Gibbs was $289 plus shipping (dealer cost) [:D][:D]

"They call me Don. Dr. Jason Donald Dalinger."
  • OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Ruger #1 in .45-70 Gov't. It's a nice shooting rifle. Have used 300 gr., 350 gr. +P+ loads, and 405 gr. The 300 and 405 grain are good to shoot; however, the 350 gr. +P+ load just hurts to shoot.... I have the Marlin lever action octogon barrel in .45LC and it's a nice shooting rifle as well.

976371019-1.jpg "Know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every moment of it." Lord Chesterfield
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    I have the marlin Guide gun in 45/70 , nice gun just never use it , it could be yours [:D]
  • SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey gskyhawk how's the recoil on that little guide gun![}:)]
  • cbablaircbablair Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Marlin Guide gun and love it. Reload for it also and don't find recoil that bad[xx(]
  • GaBobGaBob Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the 22" barrel and son has guide gun. Both good shooters. I like them a lot. I use 300 gr Jacketed soft points and 28.0 grains of 2400 powder. Plan to try on hogs soon as turkey hunters get out of woods.

Keep Your Powder Dry

The only criminal class that is native to the United States is congress.
    MARK TWAIN
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    Snellstrom she's a pusssy cat , really with factory loads its no big deal
  • staind460staind460 Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my buddy has a marlin guide gun

thing is great
    at 50 yards it can seriously shoot on big raged hole . . . given the size of the round it is prob bout a 1 - 1 1/2 inch group

has a good scope on the thing

shot it a few times. kicks like a friggin mule but will do the job on any whitetail out there
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The marlins are really great. my 1895 gs will regularly shoot cloverleaf groups @ 75 yds. smooth and fun to shoot. doesn't kick to much, but depends on ammo
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the information guys. It's either gonna be the 45/70 Gov't or the .444 Marlin. Not sure which one yet.

"The man who can hunt with 1 gun is the most dangerous, but that doesn't mean you can't have a lot of guns"

http://www.geocities.com/jonnya0322/
  • I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    I recommend you get the Marlin 1895 in 45-70.
    They're comfortable to shoot with 405 grain bullets at Trap
    Door loads (1320 fps) and up to 150 yards they make a great deer and black bear rifle shooting the same bullet at up to about 1800 fps where the pain starts to set in. They're light and easy to carry and handy to use in thick woods.

If you want a little more power and range and you don't mind a tad more weight and length, look for a bolt action on a Siamese Mauser or P-14 Enfield action. You can shoot the pusssy-cat loads or move up to about 2200 fps with the 405 gr. slug. Darn near the ballistics of the .458 Win. Mag.

Eventually you'll have BOTH. Ask the people that have them!

Forget the 444,- doesn't even compare. Ask the guys that own them.