In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HELP...mauser bolt..

andy12390andy12390 Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
i was cleaning my '98 yesterday and something happened and it the firing pin went forward and the bold shroud turned and like, locked into a weird position and it wont go back into the receiver. i feel stupid for not knowing hot to fix this problem but i had to cancell my hunting plans for this afternoon bc of it. thanks

NEF 20 ga.
western field 12, double
marlin 70pss 22lr
mauser 98 7X57
mauser 98 .243

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Get a really good grip on it and turn it back the way it belongs, please no plyers !
    It will be under a lot of compression, so it will take some doing, but it will turn back
    to where it belongs. If you need to just hook the leading edge of the cocking piece under a hard wood surface and pull and turn at the same time....Hurry and you can be right back at it in a few seconds[:D]

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    CHAIRMAKERCHAIRMAKER Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The easiest way I know is to hook the cocking piece (the protrusion under the shroud) on the edge of the workbench with the bolt locking lugs pointing down, pull down on the bolt so the cocking piece and firing pin are retracted. When they are retracted far enough, you can rotate the bolt to capture the cocking piece in the cocked position. I'm sure there are more correct ways to do this, but this will work and will not require any tools, only Band-Aids when the shroud slips off the bench and pinches the crap out of your hand.
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put the cocking piece sear ,the little oblong square edged part under the shroud in a vise tightly.Now pull on the bolt body to draw the cocking piece back all the way ,then rotate the bolt around to the proper position and let the cocking piece release . it should be in the proper position to go back in the rifle.
    You had the firing pin and cocking piece in the fired position(dropped forward) normally it is in the reciever and when you rotate the bolt to open it is put back to this cocked condition. It is really very simple once you see how it all works.

<BR>
  • Options
    andy12390andy12390 Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wow, thanks. that worked great. and i didnt even need the bandaids[:D]. i'm going to go huntin tomarrow so it wont be that bad. thank you all again.

NEF 20 ga.
    western field 12, double
    marlin 70pss 22lr
    mauser 98 7X57
    mauser 98 .243
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    Another happy gunbroker customer!!!!!

When the meekest of men raise their fist at you in defiance, you have lost. It is just a matter then of admitting it to yourself.
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes , believe it or not , had a customer come into the shop yesterday with the very same problem , had to think about it for apx. 3 seconds , done a qiuck fix , checked out everything to make sure that no other problems were present ,back to the happy customer , No Charge !
    Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn

My dog is the best person I know...
    If only more people could be as loyal and honest as my dog!!!

I love guns & Shooting!