In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

STANDARD SHELLS THRU A MAG GUN?

hsbmohsbmo Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
I'M GOING TO SHOW MY IGNORANCE BY ASKING IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO SHOOT STANDARD 2 3/4 INCH 20 GAUGE SHELLS THROUGH A 20 GAUGE MAG RECEIVER WITHOUT DAMAGING THE RECEIVER AND BARREL?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR RESPONSES.

Comments

• kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Yes, the magnum chambered shotgun will shoot regular shells and the magnums, but the standard chambered shotgun can only shoot the regular shells. It's much like using .38 Specials in a .357 Mag, the longer chamber will except either

Neo-Jedi Council
    th_rebspin.gif
    th_23018.gifth_22987.jpgMWC '05
  • hsbmohsbmo Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    THANKS KINGJOEY-I WANTED TO BE SURE IT WOULD BE THE EQUIVALENT OF SHOOTING SHORTS, LONGS AND LONG RIFLES THROUGH A 22 CHAMBERED FOR LONG RIFLES. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR REPLY.
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    No problem, at least you were smart enough to ask rather than experiment[:D]

Neo-Jedi Council
    th_rebspin.gif
    th_23018.gifth_22987.jpgMWC '05
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's an auto loader it won't cycle, but it won't hurt the gun.

7_2_120.gif
    "Aim small, Miss small"
  • timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    hsbmo - You've gotten about as good advice as you could have gotten, given the limited info on your shotgun. Modern gas autos mostly do handle the 2-3/4 shells with no problems. Older recoil-operated and gas-operated guns often require adjusting to cycle the action, but as Trap & Joey imply there should certainly be no harm to your shotgun. And of course it is a non-issue with single-shots, doubles & pumps.

Exactly what shotgun are you asking about?