In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Percussion caps

tlentlen Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
What's the difference between #10 and #11 percussion caps ? Can a #10 be used in place of a #11 or vice versa ?

Comments

• Options
    agostinoagostino Member Posts: 414 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The difference is size. If I recall correctly, the #10 is smaller and is intended for revolvers. The #11 is intended for rifles. Remington made one in between, which meant it was too loose on one and too tight on the other. Musket caps are better than either, but these are designed for large nipples such as are on a Sharps. For inline muzzleloaders these days, #209 primers are favored. But the Feds consider these modern firearms if they use modern primers.
  • Options
    The GinralThe Ginral Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very often the smaller size is hard to find, you can use the larger but should pinch them slightly before putting them on the nipple.

You can buy a cheap set of nocking pliers, (used for putting nocks on bowstrings), and do up a whole tin of caps and save some wear and tear on your fingers.

Trial and error as to how much to pinch the caps, but you'll get the hang of it easily.
  • Options
    BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been shooting Remington 44 revolvers. They recommend #11. Which you need to pinch. I have used #10. They do fit the nipples, but do not fully seat. So, they may not fire on hammer strike. A loose fit is better than a tight fit, in this case.

Bamavol