In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Romanian WASR-10?

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
Dunhams has a few at a decent price but I was wondering what you all thought of them? I don't know much about AK's, bolt actions are my thing, but was thinking of adding one to the collection.

Will they take regular AK mags?

Reliability is I assume good?

Good/bad experiences with them?

Also, one is stamped WASR 10/63, the rest just WASR. What's the difference?

Thanks, Jon

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf

Comments

• Options
    young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the wasr 10 is a single stack receiver that has been milled out to accept high cap ak mags (assuming that this is a high cap model, there are a few out there that have never been milled and therefore take ony single stack low cap mags ) the fit and finish on these tend to be ok but never great. some people have had prooblems with ak mags fitting 100% correctly due to poor work when milling out the receiver but this is a problem easily solved with a dremmel.. generally speaking you can expect ak reliability (excellent)....these are the bottom barell of the ak market but for the most part a good bang for your buch if your just looking for a good plinker. mags and ammo are relatively plentiful and inexpensive. if looking for something of higher quality I would recommend looking into an arsenal, slr or mak....my .02

Neo-Jedi Order

th_reblogo.gif

th_israel-army_03.gif

th_22987.jpgMWC
    '05
  • Options
    BigGun74BigGun74 Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you are picking one out, check the mag to see how much it shakes in the magwell. As youg n dum mentioned the WASR 10 Hi-cap model were modified from their single stack configuration by hand with widely differing results. Often you will find that the mag is loose to extremely loose in the mag well. From the ones I have checked out mags fitting tightly in the mag well are the exception not the rule. Also check for canted gas tubes, as that has also been an issue with these guns. Just make sure it lines up with the barrel. If you take the time to cherry pick you will come out with a better gun and fewer headaches.
  • Options
    ManygunsManyguns Member Posts: 3,837
    edited November -1
    I thought it was illeagal to open these up to take the higher cap mags.
    Tom
  • Options
    say it aint so 2say it aint so 2 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had two of the wasr-10 again stated mag well milled out with both of mine within 6 months of normal shooting couple hundred rounds bi-weekly mag well began widing causing jamming, round sometimes would be sideways with casing in gun bullet out and bolt closed also some mags would not lock in at all.. i now have the sar-1 not a single malfunction in 3 years

th_firestickers_1684_237874.gif