In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sharps 1878 Borchardt

GaustGaust Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
Hello everyone.. this is my first post in the forums. I have some questions and need some help in identifying a Sharps rifle. I have to speak to my grandfather to get the whole story behind the rifle, but from what I can remember, it was given to a family member by a member of the Cavlary in the late 1800's, early 1900's.
It is now in my possesion and I am trying to determine the model. From the research I have done it appears to be a Model 1878 Borchardt Saddle ring carbine. On the left of the block it has Borchardt Patent Sharps Rifle Co. Bridgeport Conn. U.S.A. Below that it has the number 18119. The only other markings I can find are on the top of the barrel, where it says Sharps Rifle Co. Bridgeport Conn., near the band it says Old Reliable. I have not measured the barrel, but it is fairly short. There are rings attached to the front band, left of the block and the rear bottom of the stock. The barrel is a brown color and the block is a silver color. I plan on taking some pictures of the rifle soon. Any help identifying the gun would be greatly appricated.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello is the serial on the side of the frame or on the underside?
    And If it is a BORCHARDT it will have the hammer inclosed in the action and not visable from the outside. The military model as far as I know only came in 45/70 and had a 32inch barrel with steel butt plate stock goes to within about 4 inches of the end of barrel with a cleaning rod in the fore-arm.and has 2 barrel bands.Does your rifle have round or octagon barrel? Round barrel models were Military rifle, Carbine, Hunters Rifle, Business Rifle, Short range Rifle,Midrange Range Rifle, and Long Range Rifle. If you have a rifle that has not been modified it would be of rather high value..Can you post pictures?
  • GaustGaust Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took these pictures this morning. I hope that I can post these properly for everyone to view. The barrel is round and the hammer is inclosed in the action. The only markings I can find are in the picture and on the top of the barrel.
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a256/Charthaigh/Sharps/Picture008.jpg
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a256/Charthaigh/Sharps/Picture005.jpg
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a256/Charthaigh/Sharps/Picture004.jpg
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a256/Charthaigh/Sharps/Picture001.jpg

I hope it works this time..
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gaust, no pics.....you need to host them on a pic website like www.photobucket.com then C&P the URL here.

7_2_120.gif
    "Aim small, Miss small"
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    SWEET without a hands on no one can be sure but from what I see in your very good pictures I would say you could make a old man very happy if you would sell me this sharps. I beleive it is a correct carbine model and not a butchered up rifle.I however don,t think it was ever issured to the US military .You need to look ar the single shot rifle sites and find someone with much more knowledge then me to do a hands on that lives near you or U might get lucky and one of those guy will answer later. I think you have a very collectable rifle I have 2 Borchardts but they have been made into target rifles and don't have orginal stocks .
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gaust, Do a search here on Sharps, somewhere here I posted the name and contact info for the man that has all the remaining Sharps records. For a reasonable fee he can look up your serial#, and can send you the factory record on your gun. Have you determined the caliber yet? It should be marked on the left rear of the barrel next to the reciever.

7_2_120.gif
    "Aim small, Miss small"
  • drsckdrsck Member Posts: 992
    edited November -1
    It would appear that you are the proud owner of a genuine 1878 Sharps-Borchardt carbine. The are extremely scarce! Best of luck and let us know what you decide to do with it. Steve
  • GaustGaust Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the great info everyone. I'm planning on researching the gun more, finding out as much as possible, and having it inspected for any mechanical problems.