In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester model 100 problems

niemixniemix Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
I'm having a ton of problems with my win model 100. I can't find a stock anywhere, and all the gunsmiths in my area can't break the gun down. PLEASE HELP!

Comments

• One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    If they cant break the 100 down for you, they are not Gunsmiths. The 100 is vary stright forward as far as disassembly and reassembly. Try this website for your stock. www.gunstocksinc.com or try this one. www.gunstocks.com One of them may have what you need.

"The most persistent sound which reverberates through man's history is the beating of war drums."
    Arthur Koestler, UK
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Wow, if they can't take down your model 100; who's going to help you with that firing pin problem you're sure to have later?

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nie- can your model 100 be cocked? if so, remove the fore and aft screws, draw back the bolt, lift the front of the action out of the wood while holding bolt to rear. If it cannot be cocked, likely that gas piston has rusted in place- and there is a way to get around that. And you need to find a GUN SMITH my friend. As mentioned, there has historically been a firing pin problem with 100s, and a factory recall. Get a true smith to see if yours has been modified.
    If it cannot be cocked, let me know, and can give you some suggestions on disassembly. Good luck, shoot safe.

"I have good news and bad. Make it through, you don't have to prove anything to anyone the rest of your life. Bad news- you have to prove it to me first." CSM, US Army Ranger School.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    werent the 100's that got modified suppose to receive a peen (dot) struck into the serial number?

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction. NRA certified instructor.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    werent the 100's that got modified suppose to receive a peen (dot) struck into the serial number?

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction. NRA certified instructor.

No Bobski,dealers could call and give the serial number and Winchester would tell you if the pin had been changed if not you could send the old firing pin in and they would send you a new one and a $25.00 check to install it.This was for FFL dealers and Gunsmiths only.I don't know if this if this has been changed? [:)]

Eagle_Guns.gif

When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  "And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"  "My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."   ATF,Eagle Guns
    edited November -1
    no, thats still correct. for some reason i thought smiths were suppose to smack a mark somewhere on the gun. i may be wrong. its been years since i owned 100's.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
    edited November -1
    no, thats still correct. for some reason i thought smiths were suppose to smack a mark somewhere on the gun. i may be wrong. its been years since i owned 100's.

bobski,Winchester never told me do do this.Way back when the recall was first announced (before I was an FFL) I sent mine off to a gunsmith in New York.I've never noticed any marks on it,but I'll check.[:)]
    edited November -1
    i may have miscommunicated. i meant, no, you are right. its done the way you mentioned. i may have the 3200 recall mixed up with the 100 recall..[:)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
    edited November -1
    i may have miscommunicated. i meant, no, you are right. its done the way you mentioned. i may have the 3200 recall mixed up with the 100 recall..[:)]

I gotcha.[:D]

Eagle_Guns.gif

When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  "And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"  "My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."   ATF,Eagle Guns
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father had one of the very early Winchester 100's in .308 and it would double nearly everytime you pulled the trigger. He had bought it from his brother who slyly had not told him of the problem. It would put two holes in a target about 1/2" apart with one slightly above the other. It never shot more than two shots at a time and would feed and function just fine otherwise. It bothered him no end though. When a gunsmith couldn't correct it and told him to send it back to Winchester, he traded it for a Remington in 30/06. I liked the rifle and would have been willing to put up with it as was but I didn't have the money to buy it at the time and had to pass on it.