In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1939 Luger / Mauser Code 42 ? Pic Heavy

BandR FirearmsBandR Firearms Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in Ask the Experts
Hello everyone. I am having some difficulty trying to figure this out. Is this a Mauser Code 42? Or how would I list this on the auction side? Also what I can not determine is the maker? I took pictures of all of the stampings I could find. I hoping someone could help. I do have a magazine for it, however the bottom part is missing so I could not determine if it was a matching magazine. Other than that, the entire gun including grips match. Any estimate value would also be appreciated, I know the prices vary greatly for these. Thank you kindly, Brett.

DSCN4818.jpg
DSCN4819.jpg
DSCN4820.jpg
DSCN4821.jpg
DSCN4822.jpg
DSCN4823.jpg
DSCN4825.jpg
DSCN4827.jpg
DSCN4829.jpg
DSCN4830.jpg
DSCN4831.jpg
DSCN4832.jpg

Comments

• Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The code 42 means made by Mauser. The proper magazine would have been the extruded steel one.

All matching numbers would be a plus but condition kills value. Sorry I can't suggest a value. A listing with a low starting bid and no reserve should bring you top price.
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please advise, when/if you post it on the auction side.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Wow of course at one time that was a new pistol .It looked like it survived without ever having a broken part . However the condition is poor to very poor . Looks like it was stored for many years in a damp holster[V]I would not worry about the magazine but what does the inside look like .Barrel Bore. does it actually Function. In this case .RICK on Pawn Stars is correct if it shoots it is worth more. If not I don't see more than 2 or 3 hundred dollars.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Put it up for auction and it will float to it's value. Probably in the neighborhood of $500 or maybe even a bit more.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You really want to field strip it, so that you can take photos to show bidders the condition of the bore & other major parts.

Unless you can show me photos proving otherwise, I would assume that the bore & breech face are also pitted. If that is the case, the gun is unsafe to fire, & beyond economical restoration, worth around $200 for parts.

Not that I disagree with p3skyking; there will always be inexperienced folks who overpay for guns with "problems".

Neal
  • Options
    BandR FirearmsBandR Firearms Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bore is actually not that bad. Rifling is tight. Bore only has minor pitting, but really not bad at all. I would rate it +85%. Yes, it functions perfectly. Cocks back easy and closes with no problems. No wiggle, very tight.

quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Wow of course at one time that was a new pistol .It looked like it survived without ever having a broken part . However the condition is poor to very poor . Looks like it was stored for many years in a damp holster[V]I would not worry about the magazine but what does the inside look like .Barrel Bore. does it actually Function. In this case .RICK on Pawn Stars is correct if it shoots it is worth more. If not I don't see more than 2 or 3 hundred dollars.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Condition is everything and, sadly, this P08 suffers in that area. From its serial# it was made in the first third of the run and is one of over 218k made by Mauser in 39/40. Do you have the holster for it? Sometimes the good Luger leather is worth almost as much as the poor pistol but, again, condition is everything. How does it shoot? It looks to be all matching ex for the mag and that is a good thing but the pitting and all really hurts it for collectors.