In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1 7/8 oz. Shot Too Much?

7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in Ask the Experts
Guys,

The manual for my M2000 says that it is designed for 2 3/4" or 3" shells. It also states that it is designed to shoot between 1 oz. and 1 3/4 oz. shot. I bought a bunch of 3" shells that contain 1 7/8 oz. of buffered #4 shot, and 3" 00 buck buffered with 15 pellets. Will shooting these heavy loads be too much for my shotgun? I probably won't be able to return this ammo. [xx(]

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I'm not familiar with a M2000 but if it has a 3" chamber and has strength suitable for 1 3/4 oz the additional 1/8 oz should not be a problem. I don't expect that you'll be shooting very many of them at one time.
  • Options
    cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't think it would be bad to shoot that range of load, in your gun some turkey loads in 3" are 2 0z.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's a new shotgun? Might consider contacting the manufacturers customer service department. Nowadays most all of them have 800 numbers, or e-mail addresses for contact purposes. Although if the manual specifically says to only use loads between 1 & 1 3/4 ozs. Chances are they will tell you the same thing.

Heavy loads take the fun out of shotgunning, like the previous poster noted. I would put the 3" aside, and buy some standard high brass, hot, 2 3/4 loads. See how you like shooting them. If they don't make your eyes water, give the 3" a try.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All shells are loaded to SAMMI limits. If these are factory shells, they should be safe to shoot in any gun chambered for that size shell irrespective of the amount of shot it contains.