In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Full Size Witness 45 acp

kc5gxckc5gxc Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in Ask the Experts
I bought the Witness on GunBroker. It looks like stainless steel, but I read that it's the wonder finish on this pistol.
It has some scratches on the frame. Can I buff or polish this frame whthout screwing up the "wonder finish" ?
I don't know how deep this finish is...sure looks like stainless.
Thanks, Pete

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So far as I know, Witness was never made in Stainless.

The "wonder finish" is a nitride-based finish, similar to the glock "Tenifer", the Smith and Wesson/Walther "Melonite", the Sig Nitron, etc.

The difference is that those guns have a blackened parkerized/phosphate finish OVER the nitride one, where as the Witness is just nitrided steel.

The actual finish is probably super-duper thin so any visible scratch probably went through the finish. The finish itself is going to be super hard, and resistant to polishing.

In short, no, I don't think you can just buff out the scratches easily or without hurting the remaining finish.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kc5gxc
    I bought the Witness on GunBroker. It looks like stainless steel, but I read that it's the wonder finish on this pistol.
    It has some scratches on the frame. Can I buff or polish this frame whthout screwing up the "wonder finish" ?

No
  • Options
    kc5gxckc5gxc Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks
    I appreciate the info on this finish.
    Pete
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will still shot very nice[:D][:p][^]