In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

MK 3 Ruger 22 LR pistol

ukblue123ukblue123 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited July 2013 in Ask the Experts
I purchased this pistol and it came with a threaded barrel for a suppressor. I would like to be able to shoot sub-sonic rounds in the weapon but when I try them the gun doesn't eject the brass and hangs the next round. Does Ruger have a lower strength return spring so the slower rounds would work or is this something a gunsmith could help with.

Comments

• RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never had any issues with Remington Sub Sonic. Maybe give them a try if you have not already.
  • burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    probably ammo related. try a different brand of subsonic. that is if it shoots good on standard ammunition. if it doesn't work well on standard ammo, clean the chamber. a lot of the subsonic ammo varies greatly in velocity. you just have to find the one your gun likes. you do not need a liter spring.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even my well worn 22/45 won't run the lower power end of the subsonic ammo type.
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the "standard velocity" 22LR is going to be sub-sonic when fired out of a pistol -- and that should cycle fine in the Mark-series pistols -- so you may want to consider that option.

If you're intent on using the rounds you were trying, and assuming your problem is that the spring is too strong for the sub-sonic rounds (and it's not a problem with the extractor/ejector), I'd suggest getting a replacement spring assembly (you can buy it direct from Ruger) and clip out one coil in the spring at a time until you get the spring weak enough to function with the ammo you're using. By doing that to a 2nd spring assembly, you'll have the original strength spring if you want to shoot other ammo.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by competentone
    Most of the "standard velocity" 22LR is going to be sub-sonic when fired out of a pistol -- and that should cycle fine in the Mark-series pistols -- so you may want to consider that option.

This.

When makers are talking about "subsonic" ammo, they mean ammo that's subsonic from a RIFLE.

With the caveat that right now its hard to find ANY .22LR ammo at all, any standard velocity ammo with a solid 40 grain bullet should be subsonic from a pistol. In fact pretty much ALL "target" or match ammo will be subsonic by design.

Even the bulk-pack 36 grain high velocity stuff will be subsonic from a short (4" or less) pistol barrel. From a longer barrel (eg 6"), you're going to be pretty close, and depending on brand and temperature, you may get some supersonic shots.

Lastly, if you've got a good ear and know what you're listening too, you can hear the difference between subsonic and supersonic. . .the supersonic will make a high-pitched crack. So you may be able to tell without a chronograph.