In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Iver Johnson Top Break - how tight is tight enough

Erwin0206Erwin0206 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
edited August 2013 in Ask the Experts
Just acquired an IJ top-break 32 S&W (short). The revolver has a good bore with strong rifling, clean cylinders, and all functions and timing appear to be in order. The cylinder lines and locks up tightly clockwise, but has some play counterclockwise when manipulated by hand. However, when locked in position without manipulation, it is in correct alignment, as tested through the bore.

Is this small amount of play normal in an older top mount, or is there a way to tighten this up before test firing?

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an old top-break IJ in .38 S&W. Turning the cylinder counter clockwise is how you remove it from the gun, so it stands to reason that it may get loose when turning it that way.

On my gun to re-install the cylinder you just place the cylinder on the center rod and spin clockwise.

Try opening the action and spinning the cylinder "counter" clockwise and see what happens. If its anything like mine you should be able to pull the cylinder off after a few revolutions.
  • Options
    0oAKo47o00oAKo47o0 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you take the cylinder off there is a small pin on top of the spindle I believe. its possibly there to provide some tension on the cylinder?
    I was cleaning out this old IJ and almost lost it, I'm not entirely sure if its supposed to come out like that or if its broken. looked pretty flimsy.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is normal. Observe and understand how the cylinder hand and cylinder stop bolt interact to lock the cylinder in firing position. It is not the best or tightest locking system, but works "good enough." It is also the cheapest manufacturing system.
    You are fortunate to have one in that good operating condition. If the cylinder-to-barrel gap is too large it is possible for a bullet to get stuck in the bore from the low pressure .32 S&W cartridge.