In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Fabrique Nationale 30-06

jaekger2jaekger2 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
edited August 2013 in Ask the Experts
Have a Fabrique Nationale 30-06 with a Shilen barrel that my husband bought from a friend 20 some years ago. Only know basic info about it and would like to get more educated so I can determine it's worth. I know it has a custom stock and a Shilen barrel. It also has double triggers and a Leopold scope. Serial number on receiver is 28590. Where can I find info for serial number and proof marks? Is Shilen a good manufacturer? I can use any help you can offer.
Thanks!!

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good detailed pictures are needed (see above sticky). Sounds like a nice rifle, not common to find double set triggers on junky guns. All are good names you have listed.

Look at the pic's on the auction side for guidance.

Likely a shooter/hunter so bore condition will be important.

added:
    Looks like a nice shooter hunting rifle to me. Be fun to put it on paper and see what it can do. I doubt you could replace the rifle for less than 2k insurance wise.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FN is a major firearms manufacturer in Belgium, & they make guns for MANY companies. But, the words "custom" & "value" can't be used in the same conversation, as it is difficult to guess what any "one-of-a-kind" gun is worth. Even with photos, it may be difficult for us to tell what you have.

But, photos are a necessary first step; here are the instructions for posting them for us:
    http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Yes, Shilen is a good barrel maker.

Get back to us after you figure out the photo procedure.

Neal
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shilen was one of the best. He made his own actions but your rifle is obviously made on an FN receiver, probably a Model 98 Mauser copy. It is hard to give a value estimate as it is a one of a kind item. Value would also depend on condition. We need to see photos to give you any valid appraisal. Instructions for posting pics are in a sticky at the top of the forum list.

additional: Man! You have to be quick to get in the first request for photos.
  • jaekger2jaekger2 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info!! I'll get some photos posted tomorrow. I appreciate the help!!
    edited November -1
    Here are some photos of the FN 30-06 (HopefullY!!!)

20130820_6411.JPG
    20130820_6413.JPG
    20130820_6414.JPG
    20130820_6416.JPG
    20130820_6417.JPG
    20130820_6418.JPG
    20130820_6419.JPG
    20130820_6420.JPG
    20130820_6425.JPG
    20130820_6429.JPG

I fixed it for you...
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Photos leave a lot to be desired. The steel reinforcing bolt through the stock, is characteristic of the post W W II Mauser military rifles made in Belgium. I don't recall if the commercial sporting rifles sold in the U.S., had the reinforcing bolt?

The work done on the rifle is typical of that done by a American gunsmith. Sporterizing a military rifle during the 1950's/60's time frame. Except for the double set triggers, which weren't common on U.S. made sporters.

It's a nice looking rifle. But it's cosmetics are dated, and aren't as valued as when it was made 50+? years ago.

Value wise it would be hard to call. The style is dated and not sought after nowadays. I would put it on our auction with a $500 minimum bid. And hope that price would generate enough interest. For a number of guys to start competitively bidding for it.
    edited November -1
    Thanks rufe-snow!!
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    JUST TO NOTE: this is a post war commercial F/N action (no thumb cut-out). 'Rufe' has the price about right but you will need better pix.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll agree with all the above. You need better brighter pics showing all the detail you can. This is a pretty nice looking rifle stock, both grain and checkering. The Shilen name is a very good one as far as barrels go. The Bueler mounts are good but not great. What model Leupold is the scope? You'll probably get asked that question a bunch. Leupold considering old and new has about seven different grades of scope. Usually, they are good. So, that is kind of a good/better thing for the value. The real seller is the double triggers. Without a doubt they are a set and straight trigger. The set trigger often sets the main trigger to mere ounces. And for a delicate long shot where stability is key, a fine trigger is another issue to help with that.

Overall, you have a very nice looking rifle. Unfortunately, on the flip side of this is "it's a rebuilt/customized" Mauser. Often, because so many were done they bring less than a rifle of lesser (IMO) quality. Even new ones. If you put it up for auction starting at around $500 you may or may not get that. Typically, I've seen a lot of rifles as nice as yours, only go for high $400's. I would suggest if you don't get that within two auctions, you might will it to a child, nephew or niece that wants to get into shooting. Unless you want the money for it. If that is the case, I would start it around $300. Clearly state it is double/set triggers in the title. That will gain more interest.

-good luck
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jaekger2,

A little history:

Stoeger imported FN Mauser actions and barreled action for American gunsmiths until 1940 when they stopped. It wasn't until 1947 that Stoeger resumed this importation with FN. In 1948 FN released the now famous 'Improved Mauser M98' system with the solid left side. This is your husband's rifle, post 1948.

The stock is very possibly a custom although there is nothing distinctive in the style or design which gives us any clues as to the maker. The crossbolt was and is still in common use by gunmakers especially where an M98 is concerned.

The double set trigger may or may not be a 'custom' addition. Mauser M98s have been available for over 100 years with these triggers. While they can be a draw for some buyers, the set or lightened trigger has an enormous length of travel so it seems that the firing pin takes an extremely long time to finish its travel. This in no way detracts from the concept but it is a result.

Your husband's rifle is what can be referred to as a working rifle since there is nothing remarkable about it beyond the trigger. The scope is most likely one of the lesser Leupolds and the Buehler mounts add nothing to the package except that the new owner can pretty much just go hunting.

Personally I would prefer your Mauser over almost anything currently except for a Model 70 which is a Mauser by any other name. The range of $300-500 is probable but with better pictures and description, you might get a small bidding war started. Fall is right around the corner so an '06 would fit almost any need as far as the hunters are concerned.

Best.