In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any Charter Buldog owners??

mope540mope540 Member Posts: 6
edited August 2013 in Ask the Experts
I'm tempted to buy one for carry but in doing some research i have noticed that they have a thin forcing cone. Can they handle small and fast rounds such as the Hornady 165 gr. Critical Defense??

Comments

• andeanincandeaninc Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Going from memory, I recall my Bulldog owners manual said "no plus P ammo". Critical defense in .44 Special is a non plus P load. It is an excellent choice.
  • BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    mope540,

This may help you:

http://levergun.com/articles/44_Special_Bulldog.htm

Mic McPherson loves the Bulldogs. His family has owned several. The article includes shooting & load data. If you want a more-extensive review, then find a copy of Gun Digest, 1991/ 45th Annual Edition, and read pages 21-thru-27.
  • mope540mope540 Member Posts: 6
    edited November -1
    Thank you both for your help!!!! That link is very Helpful.
    Pretty sad that i already have a S&W 696-1 with the same thin forcing cone, but am limited to ammo choices because of it.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mope540
    Thank you both for your help!!!! That link is very Helpful.
    Pretty sad that i already have a S&W 696-1 with the same thin forcing cone, but am limited to ammo choices because of it.

If you need a 44 Magnum, then that is what to get. Don't try to turn your 44 Special into something it is not. The 44 Special is way underated for what it is, and is reasonably close to the 45 ACP.

As the story goes....Elmer Keith retired a many of SAA's, in 44 Special, while developing the 44 Magnum.

Best
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have owned a Police Bulldog 44 with sights for some 20 years.
    A lot of heavy Keith 18.5 gr 2400 w/ 235 gr HP's were fired with no problem except recoil.
    250gr bullets recoil too much anywhere near 1000fps so I stayed with 200 and 235 grain bullets.
    I'd stick with the lighter bullets at higher velocity.
    Shaping Charter rubber grips (with grindstone)to the S&W mod 60 rubber grip configuration helped immeasurably with recoil and ergonomics.
    Old top breaks with thin forcing cones and old SAA's with very soft barrels were a different story. Some SAA's had barrels worn to the bore from holster wear.
    Charter revolvers have strong 4140 modern steel barrels.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Bulldog loves the Critical Defense. It is totally fine to use in the Bulldog. Buffalo Bore also has a new load out that is safe in Bulldogs. .44 Special is a great defense cartridge.
  • mope540mope540 Member Posts: 6
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info, v35 and ruger41.