In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BAKER SxS

RALLY200SXRALLY200SX Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited August 2013 in Ask the Experts
Need some info on a Baker SxS 12ga shotgun. I think it is a Paragon model, very nice condition. I have seen a few of these and have some questions regarding this one. All the Baker's I have seen have a Damascus or London Twist barrels - this one has a blued finish - is this finish original or has it been re-blued? The barrel has matching numbers so it's original. I know that different barrels were avail. and the Paragon model was custom ordered so what other barrels could have been used? What is a Krupp barrel? The receiver is plated which I am not familiar with - common on Baker's? Any info is appreciated.

12s9.jpg

8mfq.jpg

09np.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    The full name of the maker is THE BAKER GUN AND FORGING COMPANY and a Krupp barrel is one that was made from steel supplied by the Krupp Iron (Steel) Works located in Germany. It would most likely be a fluid steel barrel. The gun shown in my reference book is called a Model Abut had other names like Grade B, Paragon, Expert, Pigeon, Deluxe and Baker Special Whitworth. The book says these models were available on special order only. The guns were made from 1891 to 1919 and if you can supply a serial number, it is possible to determine the year the gun was made.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Great looking high quality Shot Gun Not the more common Knock off of a Parker
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ned, when was mine manufactured? #250181 Thanks.quote:Originally posted by Ned Fall
    The full name of the maker is THE BAKER GUN AND FORGING COMPANY and a Krupp barrel is one that was made from steel supplied by the Krupp Iron (Steel) Works located in Germany. It would most likely be a fluid steel barrel. The gun shown in my reference book is called a Model Abut had other names like Grade B, Paragon, Expert, Pigeon, Deluxe and Baker Special Whitworth. The book says these models were available on special order only. The guns were made from 1891 to 1919 and if you can supply a serial number, it is possible to determine the year the gun was made.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Elumsbe. I flat don't know when your gun was made as my serial number tables don't go that high. They only go up to 244,000 made in 1915 for Models R & S Batavia Damascus.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lovely, everything about it shouts, "lets go hunting!"

Fall is coming.
  • Options
    RALLY200SXRALLY200SX Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The date of manufacture for a Baker Gun & Forging Paragon Model with a serial number of 480 is 1898.
  • Options
    ithaca4meithaca4me Member Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try doublegunshop.com they will be able to answer most everything for you.