In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Giving handgun to daughter in Virginia.

slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in Ask the Experts
This has been hashed out here before but refresh my memory. I want to give a handgun to my 31 year old daughter in Virginia. I live in Illinois. As I recall if we are in the same place at the same time I can just hand it over to her and she can take it home. If I ship it to her from Illinois I must send it to an FFL in Virginia to be transferred to her. Am I missing anything or not?

Comments

• sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You gotta ship to FFL no matter what. At least that is what the law says.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    It must be sent to an FFL in VA. Legally you cannot simply hand it to her in IL and have her take it home.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's sort of what I thought. Stupid thing is that as I recall if I die it can go directly to her without going through an FFL.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Directly? No.

Firearms in an estate (either listed in the will or included in personal property) will have to go through probate (6 months to 1 year), & estate taxes may have to be paid on their value. Plus, the executor will usually want to determine that the beneficiary is not a "prohibited person", requiring a NICS check anyway.

Neal
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only if you are both legal residents of the same state can you hand it to her (or make a face to face sale), and that may not be true in your exceptionally gun-unfriendly state.
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course, if you are visiting her at her house and you accidentally leave it there. She can look after it for you until you return to pick it up. [;)][;)][;)]
    But, if you want to keep it all on the up and up,[:D] find an FFL near her residence and ship it there. He will do the NICS on her and hand it over.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you ask me she always had it.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    What part of Va. does she live[?]Is this a C&R pistol[?]
  • SilentRageSilentRage Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Nebraska, I believe I could "sell " a handgun to to a family member or my friend, but to be safe, they should get a firearm purchase permit and write a bill of sale with the permit info.and signed by both. That way, if they decide to "use it "for criminal activity, I could prove I no longer own the gun. Long guns, I could sell to anybody.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yourgod, question was about transferring a firearm to a resident of another state. 18 USC 922 kicks in- and unless it is rec'd by a FFL, or is a transfer in an inheritance, it is not legal in ANY state.