In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9x23 springfield 1911

trader1000trader1000 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
edited September 2013 in Ask the Experts
Hello: I have a Springfield 1911 semi-auto chambered in the 9x23 cartridge. I have called Springfield armory with my question, but they were basically unsure. So question is.. Were ALL these pistols frames and slides made in Brazil. Many think that they were made in the USA, but I have Never seen one with a serial number other than with the "N" prefix. I am told this means it was at least made in Brazil. I know the year and month my pistol went out the door and I know it was at least made in Brazil. Anyone know anything ?
thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    All Springfield 1911s have significant Brazilian content. Those with "ww" or "n" prefix serial numbers are 100% Brazilian. Those with an "NM" serial number prefix are finish machined and assembled from components shipped from Brazil, but have enough U.S. value-added to escape the made-in-Brazil stamps.
    Hope this answers your question.
    One of my SP 1911 with the NM has over 10,000 rds through it and is still tight [;)]
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one of the NM prefix Springfield's, new in the late 80's. Over the years I owned it, completely disassembled it a number of times.

There were no country of origin markings as required by U.S. law, for foreign manufactured products. Because of this I don't personally believe that the frame was made in either Brazil, or any other foreign country. Not saying the slide or other parts didn't come from Brazil. But I always believed that my NM prefix Springfield was U.S. made.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Frames Made in Brazil but may have SOME minor final machining done in US to avoid need for made in Brazil stamping.