In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

mosin import markings

SilentRageSilentRage Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
edited September 2013 in Ask the Experts
I just noticed on one of my m44s that there is No import markings on the receiver, the other 3 have CAI import marking. Does this mean anything? Could it be a bring back?

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Import markings don't have to be on the receiver; many rifles have them on the barrel.

And, they can be below the wood line, although that is not common.

It could be a bring back, but not likely. I'm trying without success to think of a conflict in which the US was involved, in which the other side used M-N's.

Neal
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    I'm trying without success to think of a conflict in which the US was involved, in which the other side used M-N's.

Neal

I know that there were Chinese M-N copies used in both Korea and Vietnam, and perhaps more than a few Russian ones also.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You just might have a US GI issued one.[:0] Pretty rare.

""
    ""U.S. Rifle, 7.62 mm, Model of 1916: Due to the desperate shortage of arms and the shortcomings of a still-developing domestic industry, the Russian government ordered 1.5 million M1891 infantry rifles from Remington Arms and another 1.8 million from New England Westinghouse in the United States. Some of these rifles were not delivered before the outbreak of the October Revolution and the subsequent signing of the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk which ended hostilities between the Central Powers and Russia. When the Bolsheviks took over the Russian government, they defaulted on the Imperial Russian contracts with the American arsenals, with the result that New England Westinghouse and Remington were stuck with hundreds of thousands of Mosin-Nagants. The US government bought up the remaining stocks, saving Remington and Westinghouse from bankruptcy. The rifles in Great Britain armed the US and British expeditionary forces sent to North Russia in 1918 and 1919. The rifles still in the US ended up being primarily used as training firearms for the US Army. Some were used to equip US National Guard, SATC and ROTC units. Designated "U.S. Rifle, 7.62mm, Model of 1916", these are among the most obscure U.S. service arms. In 1917, 50,000 of these rifles were sent via Vladivostok to equip the Czechoslovak Legions in Siberia to aid in their attempt to secure passage to France.

During the interwar period, the rifles which had been taken over by the US military were sold to private citizens in the United States by the Director of Civilian Marksmanship, the predecessor agency to the current Civilian Marksmanship Program. They were sold for the sum of $3.00 each. If unaltered to chamber the US standard .30-06 Springfield rimless cartridge, these rifles are prized by collectors because they do not have the import marks required by law to be stamped or engraved on military surplus firearms brought into the United States from other countries.""
  • SilentRageSilentRage Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, it says TGI KNOX TN M44 Russia under the muzzle end of the barrel. I guess I have my answer. Thanks guys