In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

L Hemenway ML shotgun, damascus?

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in Ask the Experts
I'm almost sure this shotgun has a damascus barrel but the seller doesn't say so. My search engines didn't turn up anything on L Hemenway other than to say guns by Levi Hemenway bore his full name, which this does not.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=366817560
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I may be wrong but it doesn't look like Damascus to me.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I agree does NOT look to be Damascus to me either . Very nice looking Piece. I don't think Having a Damascus barrel would increase nor decrease the value of that FOWLER.Very well made old school work of art
    anyone would be proud to Own.[^]
  • hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not damascus or twist, the pattern would be evident: http://damascus-barrels.com/index.html

And what is your concern, considering it's a black powder only muzzle loader?

It looks American to me, and may have been made by Levi Hemenway. Note the two federal eagle stamps above his name on the barrel.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I tried to research the maker I kept finding damascus examples and none that referenced markings "L Hemenway"

It will probably go for more than my budget anyway.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A nice looking gun.
    The first fowler I got to handle made a believer out of me.
    Lacking modern eyeglasses, I couldn't see well enough to get a lot of good out of a long rifle, a smoothbore with buck and or ball would have served me well. And a lot less to carry around.
  • mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, what did I miss? " J " Hemenway.

Thanks totally missed that.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mcaso
    Sorry, what did I miss? " J " Hemenway

Photos clearly show "L" rather than the "J" in the title of the listing.