In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 11-48, and Sportsman 48

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,380 ***** Forums Admin
edited September 2013 in Ask the Experts
Are these the same(basicily)shotgun? I recently traded off an 11-48, and my daughter has a "Sportsman 48" 20ga that was given to her by her grandfather. Also I am wondering if there is something "wrong" with them. There are 23 Sportsman 48s listed on the auction side. They start at around $185.00 and go up to around $350.00. None have bids on them, while being what I would consider reasonably priced.

Comments

• Options
    spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the sportsman is the 3 shot version.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    THEY ARE GOOD 'LONG RECOIL' OPERATED SHOTGUNS, MOST SHOOTERS NOW DAYS WANT GAS OPERATED ONES.
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Sportsman 48 is the lower-cost version of the 11-48. "Sportsman" and "Mohawk" were Remington code for the less finished version of a popular gun. "Express" is what they use today.

Basically the same gun, just not as pretty.

Mike Wiskey is dead-on about why the 11-48 isn't as popular as some other autoloading shotguns.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Sportsman 48 and the 11-48 are the same gun except the Sportsman is a 3-shot (2-shell magazine) while the 11-48 will hold 5 (4-shell magazine). The Sportsman has "dimples" in the magazine tube to prevent the follower from going forward any farther after 2 shells are inserted. The Sportsman is not a lesser finished gun--the Mohawk is. A 1953 Stoeger's catalog I have in front of me lists both the Sportsman 48 and the 11-48 at the same price ($110.45); the Mohawk was not listed in 1953.
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    FYI...some of those Sportsman 48s will hold 5 shells total due to years of wear on the mag tube. I had one that would but have since traded it off.