In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Information Needed About Rifle Scope

heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in Ask the Experts
I found this old rifle scope in a box where I was storing miscellaneous parts and pieces.

Does anybody have information about this scope in the photos below? It is approximately 12 inches in length and the tube is made from brass which is approximately 0.75 inches in diameter. It isn't clear in the photo but the inscription on the scope mount is Mossberg No 6 Scope Mount.

I don't know if the scope is a Mossberg or maybe a Weaver or other? Would anybody have any interest in purchasing this type of item and if so what is a fair value? Any other information would be helpful.

Thanks.

Heavyiron

a4ec9012-c5fb-4e72-8731-24a1ff88ce4e.jpg

2ad26622-0945-4779-a749-847446aae3e0.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the 1930's to the 1970's Mossberg made/sold many different scope models, for rimfire rifles. Without markings difficult to figure which one, that you have.

I have a older copy of Stroebel's scope book where he lists them, unfortunately without pictures. To collectors together with the external adjustment mount, some have substantial value.

Take better quality close-up photos with indirect lighting. Put the scope and mount on the auctions.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    heavyiron, it looks like an old Wollensack scope. If it is, the tube should be marked, hard to see with the black paint they put on them. Got some better shots of the turrets?
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I finally did some research on the web when I got some free time.

The scope is a Mossberg No. 6 as is the scope mount. They were manufactured between 1935 to 1940. Apparently, these could be mounted on a Mossberg 46 rifle made between 1935 to 1937.

Thanks you guys for the help.

Heavyiron
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a special Mossberg base that your ring assembly slid into; I have seen several Mossberg rifles over the years having just the base present. There is such a thing as TOO readily detachable.