In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester 1897 #147980 C

jmoore47jmoore47 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited March 2007 in Ask the Experts
Great grandpa's shotgun arrived for my posterity in almost new shape. It was rarely if ever used. Plan to keep it original. It appears to have the long barrel making me believe it is the pidgeon gun. Is this correct? Other questions remain regarding its nearest manufacture date; ? 1900 and its approximate value. Help me understand what I have. Thanks, Jeff

Comments

• only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello jmoore47: Well I can tell you that C139059 Shipped June of 1901, so with that I'd say your gun is late 1901 or early 1902.

A long barrel doesn't mean it's a "Pigeon" gun. Checkered stocks, with a "Black Diamond" inlaid into the wrist, and or engraving on the receiver most likely yes. Standard barrel lengths are 26,28,30, and 32 inches, measured from the bolt face to the end of the muzzle with the action closed. Also during this time frame they had the "new take down" version as well as the Solid Frame, non removeable barrel assy.

You'll have to give a much better description of your gun, or possibly post pictures.

Regards Dave
  • jmoore47jmoore47 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I will send you a photo when I can, but for now, the gun is a take-down model in its original dual-chambered case and has a barrel measuring 30". The barrel is marked with a "12" on its top and also has the dates ...June 14,'98 and October 16, 1900 engraved as part of the patent information. This made me wonder after reading that some '97s did not feature these patent dates. Stands to reason then that your late '01 manufactur date is accurate. The stock nor its reciever have the diamond engraving you speak to so, therefor it must not be the 'pidgeon' gun. What I can tell you is that the gun is beautiful and will be cared for by yet another generation. Do you see many guns from that era? What value should I use to insure it?
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Jeff,

I highly recommend contacting the Cody Firearms Museum - http://www.bbhc.org/firearms/records.cfm and purchase a factory letter. It will give you the exact date that it was received in the warehouse, and the date that it was shipped (sold).

Standard barrel length for the 12 gauge Model 1897 was 30-inches except on the Brush Gun, which was made with a 26-inch barrel only. All other barrel lengths were no cost special orders. Posted pictures of your gun would allow us to determine which variant it is, and what it is potentially worth.